After a 2.5 month hiatus, I finally got the car back with the new motor. The majority of the wait was for the MFI fuel pump rebuilt by Gus at Pacific. You guys were right about being patient.

The donor motor was from a '77. The top and bottom were competely redone - and the works balanced. Factory RS pistons were used, the heads were fly cut, and an E cam was added for better bottom-end (its not a race car.) A larger turbo oil pump was added to aid in flow and reduce hp loss due to scavanging. The original MFI system was cleaned and reinstalled along with a Pertronix electric ignition. Every nut and bolt was replaced as well as the addition of ARP head studs.

SSIs and a stainless sport exhaust crowned it off. New shifter bearings and a gate shift kit.

The review - the car runs like a sewing machine with a nice growl. Since I have less than 150 miles on it, I'm keeping the revs to 5000 and less until about 500 miles, and then bump it to to 6 grand. It has silky smooth acceleration, but is not startlingly different in acceleration from the 2.4 S motor it replaced - just a bit more pick up, at least to 5 grand. (It's no turbo) I was told, and need your opinion, that once the motor breaks in and is seated, that I will pick up a few more ponies. Also what is the engineering behind recommending that the RPMs be varied during break in?

Right now I am extremely pleased with the result and am looking forward to breaking it in on the way to Monterey. Hope the Marriot doesn't mind an oil change in the parking lot.