Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you get a flat?

If you get a flat?

What do you use to jack up your car if you get a flat?

Do you use a scissors jack with a jack plate? Do you use the Porsche jack that came with your car?

My mechanic doesn't like the jack plates, but for occasional use, like with a flat, it seems to make sense.

comments?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    My jack plate works fine for changing a flat.
    The bigger issue is having the right wrench to take off those tightened lug nuts.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I still carry the factory jack, but I would never want to actually use it.

In case of a flat, I think it's best to carry the smallest scissor jack you can find and a block of wood to place between it and the frame. I have a jacking plate and they are not light! I also have a soft socket and a smallish Craftsman breaker bar on board for long trips.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Aluminum soft socket from Stoddards...2" Extension, 1/2" drive breaker bar. Scissors jack & jack plate, and a snap-on torque wrench for torquing the lug nuts.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul:

Do you need the 2" extension to be able to reach the lug nuts?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

The extension just keeps your hand away from the tire a bit while you turn the nuts. W/o, you are at an angle on the breaker bar.

It hepls to have something to place on soft or irregular ground for your jack. A 12 x 12 piece of 1/4" aluminum is perfect. Otherwise, your car can roll off the jack fi the ground isn't stable. You can't always choose where to change a tire.

Larry, Milt (Zeke) nailed it. The extension is so you have a 90 degree angle between the lug socket and the breaker bar handle. I despise the angled factory supplied lug wrenches. So much so, that I carry a breaker bar, an extension, and a socket to fit the lugs in every car we have.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by Zeke
    It helps to have something to place on soft or irregular ground for your jack. A 12 x 12 piece of 1/4" aluminum is perfect. Otherwise, your car can roll off the jack if the ground isn't stable. You can't always choose where to change a tire.
    Good point, Milt. The ground can be so soft the jack base can sink into it instead of lifting the car!

I don't see where anyone has mentioned chocking the front tire on the opposite side of the car when jacking and setting the handbrake, which are essential steps in this process. If the car can't roll, the dreaded "jack collapse" possibility is greatly lessened.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

These are all good points. It is interesting to note the listing of items that I "must" have in my car when I go on the road has grown significantly. Besides a set of tools and some spare parts, a jack, jack plate and torque wrench, aluminum (or other solid) plate, chocks and . . . . . My wife is going to have a hard time finding a place for her third suitcase (which carries the requisite 6 pairs of shoes)

Can't wait to get on the road with my Green Machine. Looks like dates have slipped slightly (nothing terrible) to mid June. Any later, and I might miss summer!! But with the quality of job Mike is doing, I really can't complain. Quality takes time, and can't be rushed. I am trying to be patient (or failing badly at it!!)

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Yes, or the car can sink into mud or soft ground - I carry a piece of plywood under the carpet in front and use it as a camping stove table sometimes.

I don't carry chocks - I use rocks or random bits of old growth trees the loggers leave lying around.

I don't carry a torque wrench either. I guesstimate it and rectify any inaccuracies when I reach civilization.

We might try to figure out the lightest tool kit of essentiials we can get away with while touring....

I had once hoped that run flat tires would solce a lot of our problems -- but they seem so heavy that it could be years until that happens. I'd rather carry wt. sprung than unsprung.