Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nice '72E on ebay

nice '72E on ebay

OK, this looks like a nice car. Aside from the usual rust comments and the BBS wheels, I challenge anyone out there to find fault with this one.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '83 VW Westfalia

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Here's a link.
    A challenge has been issued, let the bashing begin!!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Nice clean car there - looks good underneath, at the pan / floor material, and the interior. For originality, I believe the corner lights should have black around the lenses instead of silver, but I don't mind the BBS wheels. I have heard that very early 1972 cars did come with silver around the lenses though, but I have never seen one that way. Looks like a nice car - I'd buy it.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

I believe all '72s came with silver light surrounds.

Nice Frankfurt radio. Dent in the pan (3rd row, 3rd picture; look at the far right of the picture).
    Surface rust on the suspension; might be more that you can't see.
    Sway bar mounts still intact. That's good.
    Seems honest enough with his description.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Looks like a good solid car. A few minor things:
    I don't like the BBS wheels, SC fogs or window tint, all would need to be addressed. How can the A/C work without a belt? Door edge guards are a sign of non-working stays. Minor water stains on headliner around quarter window warrant a look under package shelf and rear seat carpet for rust. Did the antennae come on the passenger side in '72? Silver lens trim is correct for '72, but I'm not sure about the black engine grille.

Looks like a very good driver, nothing above would keep me from buying it provided no rust was found and a good PPI. I would plan on spending $3k on cosmetic items alone to get the appearance up to snuff (not incl. DIY labor). More if the front spoiler was cut for fogs as it appears.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Originally posted by JCR
    Looks like a good solid car.
    Good eyes. The antenna would be on the passenger side if it was a powered unit. Also depending on how/who mounted the A/C dryer could have some bearing on where it was mounted.
    Most dryers are on the drivers side but my car had both the antenna and dryer on the drivers side without any clearance issues.
    I still shudder at the "balls" it took to knock a hole in a perfectly good fender so somebody could listen to a radio.

I think the spoiler is cut as well but I find it hard to believe that anyone went through the effort to cut a steel "S" spoiler. They are stout. Might be fiberglass. Who knows.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Bump... just a few hours left. How much will it go for?
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '83 VW Westfalia

A lot, I hope. Only makes the rest of them look better. And, Bruce Anderson can use it as a thermometer for how the market really is behaving. The more empirical data he gets the more realistic his observations should become.
    Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for Bruce but with cars selling under the table and nobody admitting what they paid he has nothing to go on other than what he can obtain through public records. E-bay is as public as it gets.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111