Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Fuel Consumption on MFI

When I first got my 2.2E with MFI, it ran ok but very rich. It averaged 17 MPG on its cross country drive to NC. A few months latter, P-Thomas helped me lean it out and the milage moved up to 21 - 22 MPG highway and about 15 MPG town.

My new 2.7 with Weber's is also getting 21-22 MPG on the highway averaging 70-80 MPH.

FWIW, P-Thomas and I (along with Racemor, CurtEager, Cornpanzer and a bunch of NC PCA'ers) rode to and from RR2 together. His 3.5 with MFI got virtually the same mileage as my Weber's. I thought that was pretty remarkable.
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

I'm glad to see others with mileage like mine. I always seem to get the worst fuel mileage when compared to others on any car I seem to own. My well adjusted 2.7 MFI nets 12mpg in town and 16 on the highway. We've leaned it out as an experiement in the past, the mileage went up less than 1 mpg and the car drove horribly. But then I guess I don't keep this car for its fuel mileage.

It must be the way I drive. I get about 16 mpg on my 356 driving around town. And this is with a little 1.6 ltr motor on a 1900# car.

Growing up, I shared an old Olds with my sisters, and our dad made us track our fuel mileage....they always could get 8-9mpg...I was lucky to break 7mpg, but then I went through a set of rear tires in a year.

Now that gas is $2/gal, I'm learning to drive like a 90 year old on a sunday drive and it has paid off. My 6000#+ daily driver has gone from 12mpg to 13.5 only by using a lighter touch on the throttle.

So based on my experience, a big part of MFI or any other car's mileage is really dependent on our driving habits.

My stock 2.7MFI gets 23.0 at a steady 70mph with a 29/21 tall fifth gear, my 2.4E gets 26.0 at the same speed with a stock 29/22 fifth. The 2.4S gets 24.0 and the 2.2S gets around the same.

Jeff

Well, I've never seen 26 mpg! That's pretty good. But my stock 2.4E with stock gears got about 21 mpg on the Daytona trip which is my normal highway mileage. I'd driven the car as my daily for a few months last year. In combined Highway/city I was averaging about 18. I definitley don't baby the car (ask Halm). But I do make use of 5th gear as much as I can.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Originally posted by racemor
    I definitley don't baby the car (ask Halm). But I do make use of 5th gear as much as I can.
    Amen! We got seperated from the main group at one point heading to Daytona and Tom took the lead to catch up. I would guess we averaged 85-90 mph for better than 35 miles.
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

25 MPG on a new 2.7 driven between 65 and 70. Dropped to 20 with combined driving. Still far better than the 15 on the old S engine.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

'70 'S'

On my best days? . . . I'm lucky to get 18-19 MPG --- highway.

In town? 12-14 . . .

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

A squeek below 20 'being nice' on the open highway...

13-15 mixed town and hills...

7 at the track.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

My 2.4 MFI 73S gets 20 or so. My 58' speedster gets almost 30. Thats on back roads at 2000m alt. Liac RS your 356 has issues. Check the injection quantity, you can set it lower than spec on modern gas. Solexes always at the summer setting or below less than .4cc per two strokes same with zeniths but lower. Then check your float levels then tune. This is assuming timing and electrics are good. I had a heavy 62' cab with a metal HT solexes, big bore S90 and got more than 20 around town at my altitude. Really, you can set the inj quan way low with the gas here in WY. and when every thing is good and you are adjusting final mixture I give the mixture screw a slight bump to rich and call it good. The only down side to low inj quan is that you have to pump more to get gas enough to start. The car runs cool and mileage is very good.

Gasoline is 10% ethanol around here so there is less energy in every gram of fuel so therefore the milage is worse.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425