Thread: SS Heat Exchangers - mis alignment w/muffler

SS Heat Exchangers - mis alignment w/muffler

Guys,

Now that I have a new Dansk OE muffler on the car you'd think it would fit right up tothe heat exchangers, right? Supposedly the heat exchangers were also new (not OE, but new). However, when one side is bolted up, the other has a half inch gap that's too big to pull tight with bolts. Is that common w/aftermarket heat exchangers? I'm sure someone will tell me I should have gotten them from SSI direct, but its a bit late. I don't recall reading about this before.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

Hi Chris:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Usually these are not THAT far off.

Perchance, did you already try loosening the muffler straps and jiggling the muffler sideways to line up the flanges?

Dansk does a good job on fitment, but I cannot speak the same for HE's that are not SSI or OEM.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

I had a Dansk Sport Muffler that DID not fit; no way, no how. It made contact with the insides of the bumpers on both sides of the car (and the car is a no hit original)
    First of all the welded flange around the circumferance of the muffler was about about 3/8's to 5/16's too wide. I also believe the exhaust flanges for the muffler were not correct length. Eyeball measuring led me to conclude that the whole unit was longer (end to end) than my Leistritz but I have no physical measurements to post.
    Short answer, I deep sixed it for a refund and put my OEM Leistritz back on the car. I also own a Bischoff that fits correctly as well. I'm not so sure about Dansks' QC at this point in time. They might fit the later cars fine but I'm holding my opinion until someone proves to me otherwise. I noted that the muffler can itself is designed like later cars and is not shaped like the original Leistritz or Bischoff for pre-75 cars. (it has some unusual dimples and concave areas)

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi Tom:

Sounds like you found a bad one.

Personally, I do not use Danske mufflers for their spotty QC. We use Monty mufflers for Sport applications and when we can find them, the old Leistritz ones.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

If you really want to install that muffler, try loosening up the exhaust pipe studs a few turns, fit the muffler, then re-tighten everything back up. I've had to do that before with a heat exchanger that had a new extension pipe welded on. After install, I then heated up that welded on extension pipe with a torch to relieve stresses.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

It's far too bad for anything like that to work, though I appreciate the idea.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks guys. We are loosening up things, heating up the pipe on the HE, and tightening everything back up. In the future, since mufflers don't last for ever, what do you use for a 'stock' muffler if not Dansk? Prefer not to pay Porsche dealer prices.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Chris,

Good used early mufflers are expensive and getting hard to find...

One salution...

They seemed to have not changed the muffler's internals through '74-'75 … so I bought a almost new '74 factory muffler from Roger G. (lots of'm around for not much money) …I cut the exit pipe off one of my old 'Frankenstein' (patched a million times) early mufflers… mounted the new muffler… drove to a good'ole hot rod muffler shop and had them cut the funky crooked '74 exit pipe off the new muffler … and weld on my old exit in the right position. …

Wa-la … $35.00 to the muffler shop and I had just what I wanted.

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Just to let you know how it turned out, in case others have this problem:

Dieter used some longer bolts where the HE mates to the muffler on the right side (part that had a 1.24" space). Hand tightened it. Then with another guy heating up the long tube on the HE with a welding torch, he tightened it up slowly. The HE stretched just enought to get a good fit.

Of course this was after reinstalling the HE to the block, putting helicoil inserts into the block where the HE mounts, etc... because B2BFast just wrenched the HE and Muffler together, pulling the studs from the block in the process causing ANOTHER exhaust leak.

Dieter says this is common with aftermarket Heat Exchangers and the Dansk Mufflers.

BTW - Dieter is awesome on these older cars. He used to be a factory engineer at Porsche in Stutgart, was transfered to the SF officeof PCNA (before it was claled that). He's got some great stories about his assignment of liasing between Porsche and Bosch regarding all the problems that the FACTORY had with MFI's. Apparently they rarely worked correctly on the 911 engine. The Porsche guys complained that Bosch couldn't build a Fuel Injection good enough for the Flat-6. Bosch complained the Porsche engines were too complex and tempermental and Mercedes did just fine with the MFI. Pretty funny.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars: