Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Drive.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Drive.....

This morning, at 6:30AM, Rob Wolford and myself set out on HWY1 from Monterey CA, heading South to LA....It was the MOST gorgeous day, a PERFECT day for a twisty and spirited drive in our MOST wonderful cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

1 more Pic

featuring yours truly....And a THOUSAND thanks to Cris Huergas, Roger Grago, Freeman Thomas and ALL THE GREAT RGRUPPE FOR AN OUTSTANDING WEEKEND IN EVERY WAY!
    Bahia Red '72 911S

ES #333

Ah geeze...101... what a great road! If only we could invent a zapper for motor homes and travel trailers...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Originally posted by pwd72s
    Ah geeze...101... what a great road! If only we could invent a zapper for motor homes and travel trailers...
    Looks like they had it all to themselves at that time in the morning. That's when I like to roll.

They were on 1 as well, not 101. Could be a big difference, not that it matters, Paul. They were having a ball either way, eh?

Yup! Grassroots all the way...just a couple of guys running together, enjoying each others machine...really, what it's all about! (edit) The last time I ran 1 and/or 101 from L.A. (Newport Beach) to Newport, Oregon? 1966...in a then new tri power goat. Even then, too many of the "slug patrol". Pickemups with campers, and other just plain slow touristy folks who make the drive for the scenery alone. These days? I try to avoid coastal 2 lane roads...hate to say this, but as long as sex is more popular than death? We're going to have a "population problem".
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Hwy 1

Well, you're both right...more or less...

We left Monterey at 6:30am, stopped for coffee...and hit it! We drove Hwy 1 for 75 miles, as the sign indicates. The 101 and the 1 MERGE in San Luis Opisbo, and follow the coast as one Hwy until they split again at Oxnard.

At that hour, we were (no bull, no exaggeration) THE ONLY 2 CARS ON THE ROAD FOR THE ENTIRE HWY 1 EXPERIENCE. It was unbelievable! Unbelievable!
    Bahia Red '72 911S

ES #333

I will expound on what Stacy said.....

After driving south on Highway #1 for a just over one hour, we stopped at a beautiful little inn for breakfast. We walked in and were the only diners, so they seated us at their best table overlooking our cars and the beautiful Pacific just across the highway. We then proceeded to eat and BS for about 25 minutes and not a SINGLE car drove past in either direction! They could have put our (*#&%(@% table in the middle of the highway and served us out there and it would not have made a difference!

How's that for hitting the traffic lotto on highway #1?????

Damn, I'm lucky!!!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

admin_old
    Here's Jens and Rob (RS) at the start of the Saturday ride.

Jens,
    Pleasure to have met you. We even had a chance to chat a little. Hope to see you again.

Sherwood

The envelope please

And the Oscar goes to the Sman for the most SCHMALTZ in describing the event of a LIFE TIME........
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Tabs,

Have you ever driven the PCH from SF to Ventura? You should try it if you haven't. Take it from a displaced midwesterner who spent too many years out to sea and now chooses to live 1/2 mile from the big west blue because it gets into your blood.

What did you do over the weekend Tabs? I hope it was memorable for you truely because that weekend only happened once for all of us.

Even though I live about 30 minutes north of Monterey I wasn't able to go to the event. My wife was out of town and I spent the weekend playing with my daughters. So for me the memories are laying around in a hammock and not with the cars or the guys I'd like to meet but, just as memorable.

Tabs, I read all your posts most of the time with a chuckle. I do really enjoy your banter because it keeps the water from becoming stagnant. It does seem a shame to me though the amount of energy you waste here. There's no doubt in my mind that you are an intelligent man with a sharply honed wit. There is also no doubt in my mind that there is an underlying tinge of sadness or jealousy ( I haven't decided yet ). I'm sorry you are angry that someone wanted to convey the joy they shared with another human being and not a computer. Maybe you are angry with me now because of the joy I conveyed.

The guys had some phenomenal weather. It was truely stellar at my place in the Santa Cruz area. I'm glad that there was a great venue, great activities and great memories created. EVEN IF I DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN THEM!

Sorry I wasn't able to meet you in person Shawn and Lars. There will definitely be other opportunities.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586