Thread: Fuchs....How do I know if they are repro's?........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    joelrkaplan

Fuchs....How do I know if they are repro's?........

Just was reviewing old posts on Fuchs wheels.....I am still new to this "original" early 911 scenario, and noticed a post by PWD...must all orig Fuchs show 6J or 7J on backside?.....as I recall, the Fuchs I have a deposit on only showed 15 x 6...does this confirm they are not orig and not forged? backside is so dirty I did not notice any other numbers......was planning on picking them up tonite.....don't want repro's for sure....pls advise. TIA

If they are 6x15s they should have a raised part number on the back of one spoke, starting with either "901.362" or "911.362", the Fuchs logo, the ET =36" (offset) and date stamps, etc., as well as the "6J X 15" size. You may have to scrub off the brake dust and road grime to see it. If they only show a "15 x 6" stamp on the back, they are replicas.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Originally posted by ttweed
    If they are 6x15s they should have a raised part number on the back of one spoke, starting with either "901.362" or "911.362", the Fuchs logo, the ET =36" (offset) and date stamps, etc., as well as the "6J X 15" size. You may have to scrub off the brake dust and road grime to see it. If they only show a "15 x 6" stamp on the back, they are replicas.

TT
    Couldn't agree more.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

replicas vs. real fuchs

Most replicas are very poor imitations compared to the original. Check out the spokes at the hub they can be very narrow where they all come together vs original.

If the spokes aren't narrow, look where studs come through. Many of the repo's have a steel insert.

Finally as stated above look for the cast in numbers and (fox)
    fuchs insignia as this is the best indication.

Michael