Thread: who put stereo speakers in their cars?

who put stereo speakers in their cars?

ok there is that dashboard mount for speakers (center of dash)....which is only one speakers since the blaupunkt frankfurt was mono....so who moved up to two speaker set up? ....can i get ideas pls? ....in my 356 at least there was areas for speakers on each sides...

so how did you guys do in in a early 911?

thanks
    Lemuel Libunao
    Last edited by lemonlib; 09-09-2011 at 09:49 AM.

when i got my car (15 years ago) someone had put the speakers in the doors - that is very common but was not stock at the time
    when i did my interior i replaced them with a two speaker setup in the dash space that was originally for the mono speaker. the 2 speaker setup is available from woodies custom shop (ebay and elsewhere) but i dont think the sound is nearly as good as my earlier set up (although acceptable)
    however i am not driving the car expecting to get great sound - except from the car itself

i have heard of people experimenting with new hi-tech speakers hidden under the dash in the foot well but i have not seen them

most cars i see still have the door speakers - hidden down near/ behind the front fixed map pocket - if it is still there
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

i think i may have some 4 in pods made for the front but not the door..that is just sacrilege...i just need some sound in traffic...nothing crazy loud...

Lemonlib,
    I put 2 x 4" Sony speakers in the dash opening similar to that in Rudy's picture.
    Stereo radio / speakers or mono,you dont know the difference when the motor is making its own music !

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

My '73S came with door speakers mounted in the usual places (they mounted the speakers in the front pocket and then put a false floor in the front pocket so it's only about an inch deep. It also has speakers in the rear package shelf. They redesigned the rear package shelf with foam under the fiberboard so the speakers were up off of the metal....I'm just glad they did not cut the metal...All the wiring is brown with a red stripe and has becker/blaupunkt connectors. I understood that some of the dealerships had a Becker or Blaupunkt displays in their showrooms... some cars they added the radios to help get them sold, others folks could choose an upgrade...like all of the other add ons, these must have been a nice little profit center for the dealerships

theres got to be something out there without cutting up your car...

Lemon

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Search Moch-1. It's a moulded fibreglass underdash piece which shrouds your underdash wiring and houses 2 x 6 inch speakers. Might be what you are looking for. This guy used to produce a slick contoured rear parcel shelf speaker enclosure too. Plucking this info out of my memory banks, so hope the web info is still current.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

that sounds promising....

Lemuel

double *&(*&^(*^&^ i got AC...