Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil's '73S targa repair and rustoration

Neil's '73S targa repair and rustoration

Hi,

I thought I would post some pictures of the repair and "rustoration" of my 73S targa.

About this time last year, a cell phone talking guy in a Chevy Avalanche decided to back up onto my hood, resulting in the following carnage.

Neil
    '73 911S targa

After many about 4 months of arguing with the insurance company, I finally get a decent settlement and the repairs can start. Unfortunately, the restorer that I chose to repair and restore my car couldn't start working on my car until March. But he took the car off my hands before I took the whole thing apart.

Originally, we were going to replace the front panel as it looked pretty damaged. But before doing so, Roy (the restorer) had one of his craftsman pound it out and shape it. It supposedly took a while to fix, but the results look great. Roy told me that it was much better to fix the existing panel, as taking off the original panel would be a major pain and welding everything back together would be really expensive. Furthermore, once everything was painted, no one would ever be able to tell that it had ever been damaged. (BTW, if I sell it, don't tell anyone that it has been wrecked. )

Neil
    '73 911S targa

Here are some other pictures.

Roy told me that the car was in better condition than he had expected. It would have been nice to be able to drive it over to Ft. Worth for Parade, but some parts hold up will push the completion date to mid July.

More pictures to follow.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Jeez, a week or so ago, I could have put my pics up here and you would not6 have been able to tell the difference between the two cars until you show the top. I have to agree about the welding thing. I had a rear tail light section ready to install because of similar damage to the rear corner. I managed to beat it out and almost finsih it with primer and block sanding only. But I had to use a skin coat of bondo.

Your Roy is doing a lot of very nice work. A LOT of work. Top job.

Looks like you've joined the "while you're in there" group.

Been there, done that!
    Dick Moran

Just curious - What color is it?

Neil,
    Was just looking over your Targa Project pictures...What color is that? I ask because my race car (The Homemade 911) is painted a mid 80s VW Light Ivory, and whatever this is on your car looks awfully close to it. Just judging from these shots I would say "my" light ivory has a touch more yellow (or even red...) in it for a creamier hue. Was this an available Porsche color, or a paint-to-sample situation?

I'm just curious...I'd like to see some more shots of it sometime. Your car looks like it's coming right along. Best of Luck

Cheers
    Thom Kuby

Thom,

The color is Ivory which like you say, apparently has a bit more yellow to it.

Yeah... the dreaded while you are there syndrome.

I'll post more pictures later.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Originally posted by neilk
    but some parts hold up will push the completion date to mid July.
    Neil:

Very enjoyable looking at pix of someone's car that is in the same place as mine. I am hoping that mine is ready to pick up by Mid July as well. Good luck.

"I'll race you to the finish!!"

Are there other things you had planned on fixing in the past that you're getting a chance to work on now? Or is it just a "Hey, lookie what I found!!" Those are never good.

Look forward to seeing yours done.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

A/C car?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom,

Factory A/C. That was another reason to save the front panel. Restoration Design doesn't make a front panel for cars with AC.

Larry,

Following the progress of your car inspired me to post my progress as well.

The while you were there list

Since I had the windshield out, I sent my dash out to Just Da$hes. Hopefully I will be as happy as the others have been with their work.

Since I am repairing the dash, I might as well freshen up the interior, so that means a new carpet $et.

I am installing a new clutch and flywheel since I pulled the engine. It needed it any way so I don't feel to bad about that expense.

I am going to hate buying all the replacement rubber and trim items that need replacement. Ouch.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa