Thread: to the body work DIY's

joelrkaplan

to the body work DIY's

what grade sandpaper should I use to smooth out an area on my door edge? I just did something really stupid , causing my ajar door to jam up against an immovable wall and paint smudged up a bit( it is @ 9 yr old paint). I would like to smooth it out and then just touch it up......it's just killing me to look at it.....wet or dry paper?...TIA

320 will work on the edge. Wet or dry, it doesn't matter. You won't get any sanding action from something like 600.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Depends on the amount of damage.

If it's a chip, you can build up layers of paint - one layer at a time - to fill the hole. This takes time... 10 - 20 layers - let eack layer dry thoroughly. Once the built up paint is slightly above the normal surface, I would knock it down with 800 or 1200 grit. Use wet paper AND a small sanding block (do not use just sandpaper with your hand - it will create an uneven surface). Change paper often, the fine grits wear away quickly. Follow with a good hand glaze rubbing to smooth it all out, then a wax.

I touched up some door edge paint chips this way on my car, turned out pretty good.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

if you post a picture of the damage I may be able to give you a very good idea on what to use to fix it. I've sanded with all the way up to 3000 grit, it all makes a difference.
    '71 911S Targa

joelrkaplan
    Thanks for all responses; now I have an idea of a starting point at least. I will start out very conservatively at first......no pics to show as I just realized last week my camera appears to missing....hmmmm. When I do find it, or buy another one I also want to show pics of RS style steering wheel that is now on car......

paint repair

Joel:

You might try some of the liquid alternatives that McGuires offers prior to sandpaper. They have 3-4 products prior to waxing to restore painted surfaces. There is another product called Imperial hand glaze that is excellent as well.

Michael

joelrkaplan
    Done...used some 320....quickly went to 800 then 1200....cleaned it up, touched it up...finished w/ 3M IHG and wax......now it's barely there!...thanks to all!