Thread: advice needed to jack up rear for oil change

joelrkaplan

advice needed to jack up rear for oil change

after doing a search I found an old post by Sherman but am still unclear. Would like to do my own oil changes and save the 100 bucks for more serious work. What is the proper method for getting car up...it seems as stands go at outer ends of torsion bars, right? I have just ordered 101 mods to do........so I hopefully I won't rely on the board for overdone topics !..TIA

If you are just going to unscrew the drain plugs, you don't need to jack up the car. Just get a drain pan that has a HUGE opening at the top as oil will spill over the top if the inlet is too small.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

I find a standard inexpensive set of Rhino ramps are perfect. I back onto them at the end of the driveway adn teh car is pretty level for draining and filling.
    Chris
    70 911E
    FA-18C
    R Gruppe #295

joelrkaplan
    Neil, it didn't even dawn on me that that would be an option.......Chris, I actually use Rhino's on my Z3 coupe and did not think of backing onto them....they do not slip as the wheels are grabbing/spinning?...thanks

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Agree with Neil, no need to jack up for an oil change - in fact, I believe it's best to have it level for thorough draining.

And... be ready for the GUSHER - fast 'n hot 'n plenty! In addition to a large pan with a big opening, make sure any air vent plugs are open to let the oil flow in faster.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Joel, it's very common to jack up and place jackstands under the outer ends of the torsion bars, as you mentioned in your post. I would recommmend that you replace the crush washers for both drain plugs before reinstalling / torquing the plugs. And definately follow the recommended torque specs. It's an easy job for a DiY.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

joelrkaplan
    Ok I hear ya'll..BUT if I do not jack her up then I assume I am not changing out the whatya call..screen(?) at bottom of case?....how often should I change that out?..I plan on doing oil about 2x/yr(end of winter/end of summer) ....@5k miles/yr.

Every 2500 miles?

I had thought that since the amount of oil in the Porsche engine was so large (is it 12 quarts?) that it wasn't necessary to change the oil as frequently. I change the oil on my "regular" cars every 3K, but I have to wonder if changing it that often on the Pcar with that much oil in the crankcase is necessary or desireable.

I plan on putting 5K on my car yearly, and I had planned on changing my oil as I was getting ready to put it up for the winter. Are there other ideas that make more sense?

That whole concept of "putting it away for the winter" is a topic for another thread, when we get closer to snow. I am still waiting for flowers to bloom.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

joelrkaplan
    Larry, I hear ya and I am open to thoughts of other more experienced owners...I actually enjoy getting under car and getting dirty ; I can't imagine changing it 2x/ year at 2500 mi intervals would be bad; not neccessary maybe but not bad.....

Re: Every 2500 miles?

Originally posted by larry47us
    I had thought that since the amount of oil in the Porsche engine was so large (is it 12 quarts?) that it wasn't necessary to change the oil as frequently. I change the oil on my "regular" cars every 3K, but I have to wonder if changing it that often on the Pcar with that much oil in the crankcase is necessary or desireable.

I plan on putting 5K on my car yearly, and I had planned on changing my oil as I was getting ready to put it up for the winter. Are there other ideas that make more sense?

That whole concept of "putting it away for the winter" is a topic for another thread, when we get closer to snow. I am still waiting for flowers to bloom.

larry
    Larry,

At a minimum, you will want to change your oil once a year to remove any of the acids that tend to accumulate int he oil from the combustion by-products.

While I change mine every 3,000 miles, a schedule of 5,000 miles between changes is not all that outrageous.

If you are planning on that and you will be putting your car away for the winter (I drive mine year round, albeit only 1 time every 1-2 weeks in winter due to weather concerns), I would do my change just before I put it up so I have fresh oil in the crankcase while the car sits.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300