Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newest on the 73 VGE

My Plate has arrived

Paul:

Thanks for the protective stance. Guys, I have to admit that I have taken some ribbing, cautions, suggestions, etc over the past 6 or 8 months. I am sure that many of you would have done the car differently than I have. But we all take our own turns.

RE: Dynamat. I haven't added it, it was there from the PO.
    RE: Schedule. It will be done soon enough (OK, not soon enough), but the wait will be worth it. He is going the extra mile for what was going to be "just a repaint."
    RE: A/C. Here's hoping that it cools. If it doesn't, it will have been a $1,000 exercise in futility. But the wifey will know that I have tried.
    RE: Lexus - already have one, ironically without A/C. It broke last summer, and the dealer wanted $2.5 extra large to fix it. No thanks.
    RE: 6 Way power seat. That's why my sport seats are at Autos Int. Power seat with Houndstooth. Rockin!!!
    RE: The ribbing. Love it. Thanks.
    RE: The Plate. A Viper Green Targa, named after a Viper Green Puppet. Miss Piggy, where are you???

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Cool plate.

Larry has taken some ribbing from us. He seems to take it in the spirit it's given, which is that many of us have been down the exact same road, and met with some of the same surprises, and had our optimism tempered, somewhat, and also discovered that a 911, once it's finished, is unlike any other car out there.

I have great AC in my car. You need to increase the condenser area significantly, and improve the compressor, but it'll work.

I also have a nice and quiet ride, but not without some additional steps. Here's my capped-on-one-side exhaust, and extra thick (but still maybe not as heavy as Dynamat) insulation that I put on for long road trips, and take out at the track.

I have no doubt that many 911 owners would find these solutions terrible (unsightly, non-period-correct, and also involving the Campbell's Soup corporation, which is probably a very-evil multi-national mega-corporation).

But like Larry says, we all have to find the path that works for us.

(groupe hug) I have no doubt about the builder's quality and intent. I'm on my 3rd car in 4 years. I'm a hobbist and just one person and I send nothing out if I can do it myself (which is about everything, it's a money thing).

Larry, I wasn't trying to be mean. Just seems like at the point that it is now, and knowing how thorough the guy is, well, there is some work left there.

Hey Larry,

I kinda like the plaid that the license plate is sitting on.....

Eric

Cool All in good fun

Originally posted by Zeke
    Larry, I wasn't trying to be mean. Just seems like at the point that it is now, and knowing how thorough the guy is, well, there is some work left there.
    Zeke: I didn't sense any meanness in your comment. I think that there is a lot to do too!!! But I'm not doing the car and Mike is. I am pretty calm about it. As long as it continues to be rainy and cool in Chicago, I can wait.

But when the weather warms up?!?!?!?!?! I'm gonna wanna my Targa!

Eric: That plaid is my next fabric venture. How many yards do you want?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

joelrkaplan
    Larry, just curious....what is name of shop/painter?.....jrk@jrkchiropractic.com

Talking Thought you would never ask!!!

Joel:

The shop is:

Toybox Motors
    Michael McGrath
    9 Plumtree Ln.
    Westport, CT 06880

(203) 613-8818
    michaelemcgrath@yahoo.com

Reasonable prices, excellent work, he has a passion for what he does. So far, on this project, he has exceeded the expectations of our agreement, and has stuck to the price that we set.

In a few short months, you will see the result, and you can judge for yourself.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Primer

I thought that someone had asked me what kind of primer he was using. I spoke to Mike yesterday. He said that he uses an acid etch primer for the first coat. He said it is a bit thick, but it adheres to the metal much better. Then he uses a regular primer over that, but he uses a very dark grey.

He said that this way, when he is block sanding (wet) it really looks black where it is sanded, and he can see the low spots really easily.

Then he is putty filling the low spots, priming, block sanding, putty filling the low spots, priming, block sanding, putty filling the low spots, priming, block sanding, putty filling the low spots, priming, block sanding, putty filling the low spots, priming, block sanding, putty filling the low spots, priming, block sanding, . . . . . until he gets it right. He said that he will be doing this for this week and the next.

I realize that this is the critical step in an extremely smooth finish, and is not to be rushed. He said that now he is only working on my car and remodeling his house. OK, how are we dividing our time here??

He suggested that if I was willing to hire someone to work on his house, then he could work on my car full time. Well, that ain't happenin'

Should have some more pix next week.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

These guys might be available.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Ohhh MYYYY GAWD

Just when I was about to congratulate you boyz on a good thread...with nice pic's... what shows up...BB2...Geezus get over yerself JackieO...granted U got a nice car...but it's like saying look what a big schwanz I have over and over again... Quiet frankly JackieO your schwanz bores me...show me some flashing brillance...show me something other than your schwanz???

Again what a beautiful Espresso machine I have. It makes wonder Espresso, Capuchino and Lattes...even Cafe Americans....Geezus I need another hit after this....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism