Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R Gruppe PacWest Meet at Gary Emory's 10th Annual Campout

Mark,

Tell (and show) us more about your rumor.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Well, if you insist...

#232 started life as a Swiss delivered privateer rally car. In 1984 Jim Newton (Auto Assoicates, Canton CT) imported it, drove it and then began a restoration to 100% factory lightweight specs (including glass).

The car won the PCA Parade Manhattan Trophy (Best of Show) in 1986. Then was featured in Panorama Dec. 86 issue, "Every piece of the car was disassembled, replaced or refurbished, and then checked off in the factory parts manual".

In 1993 it was featured in Randy Leffingwell's book Porsche Legends and is on the cover of the 1996 edition of the book.

#232 was driven and autocrossed some after the 86 Parade, but was mostly held in dry storage until 2001.

Over the last 2 years it was re (over) restored by an R Gruppe member in Southern California. I bought it last month and had it shipped to Emory's for the campout. It hasn't been driven since the restoration (other than for the Andial PPI).

So, if the weather is nice I get to drive it for the first time this weekend!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mark,

Congrats and thanks for sharing. When you get a chance be sure to post some photos and also put it in the RS Registry.

Carrera RS Registry

PS You shouldn't have mentioned it was a Swiss delivered car, GeorgeK will want you to send it back immediately to Switzerland when he finds out. Ask me how I know.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I look forward to seeing you guys down there. English Rob will be coming in from LA to join me for a drive down in the (more modern) Carrera. If you'll allow a post '74 car to be seen with the group, you can expect us at Earl's place on Saturday.

Randy, thanks for getting the guys together.

Cheers, Chris

PS: Mark, congratulations on the RS. Gorgeous car.

I need to let everone know that the Hotels are booking up fast. If you need a room for the weekend get it ASAP. There is a list of hotels on Emory's website

http://www.partsobsolete.com/events.htm

73S Sporto
    R Gruppe #259

Thanks guys!

Randy, I would love to get (buy?) copies of the photos if you still have them. I didn't know the car was at that event.

I spoke with the Emory's today and they are way ahead of their normal reservations for the campout.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    So when do you RGruppe folks plan on being at Emory's? Saturday afternoon or Sunday? It would be great to see all of you and your cars. I might try t make it, by my car will be there only in spirit. I've been in years past, and it is a great, relaxed event. For out of towners, the air museum nearby is also worth a vist.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

I plan on being there Sunday. But if the current rain continues, I'll be there in Cindy's daily driver. Call me a wimp, but I recently gave my car a 3 days long detailing job, and at age 60,I don't enjoy giving the car a bottom scrub as much as I did when I was 30..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The momentum is definately building for this weekend. I started getting a bunch of e-mails and phone calls yesterday. So far it looks like 15+ cars. I spoke with Gary this morning and he is securing a coral for us. There are going to be alot of SWEET Early cars at my house!

73S 2.7RS Spec Sporto
    R Gruppe #259

In the interest of increasing appetites, here's a link to a slideshow of 88 pics from last year...taken by Pelican. I didn't know they had anyone there...
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet...e_03/Page1.htm

I'm doing a sun dance!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)