Thread: 73 window switch repair/retro-fit

73 window switch repair/retro-fit

Since the chrome surround window switches are NLA for 73s, and mine is getting funky, has anyone successfully taken one of them a part to repair (I can't figure out how without breaking it) or taken a new switch and retro-fitting the chrome surround from the old switch to the new one.

Thx - Rick

HeeHEE HEEE...

Rick, good luck!!!!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

With that kind of encouragement , I might as well fab some myself and sell them at a premium - like door pockets.

But seriously - any solutions out there?

Rick, I got a window switch for my '73 from my local dealer not too long ago,it had the chrome surround. I just asked a buddy in the parts department and he says they are still listed, you might want to check to be sure. If you want to call him, he's at MY Porsche, I think they have an 800 number published in Excellence but I don't know it, the other number is 831 899 5555, ask for Mike Hayworth.

Bruce
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

Bruce, thanks a mill. I will call him tomorrow.

Here's the scoop. My local dealer can get genuine '73 window switches for a mere 80.41 with out the chrome surround. The surround costs a whopping 7.87, less PCA discount. I can get new switches for 20.00. Looks like I will combine the new and old. It won't be perfect, but it will look pretty darned close. Looks like my wrench who said genuine '73 switches were no longer available was wrong.

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.

Window switches for 73

Bought replacements from Pelican Parts a few months back. As I recall - they were way cheaper than $80+. They were genuine Porsche.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Beware....

most of the 'chromed' electric window switches are actually for the electric sunroof. Unfortunately, they reference the SAME part numbers.

I.E. I had Stoddard's do a search for the chrome-bezeled electric window switch from my 73RS. The original PN was superceeded by another PN. I thought I was in luck. No so. I received 2 VERY nice and expensive Chrome-bezeled electric sunroof swithces smaller, and incorrectly wired for an electric window. Buyer beware. I ended up fixing the one I had....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Stacy,

How did you get into the 'guts' to repair the original? I tried all the tricks I know - and didn't want to destroy it in the process.

Thanks,
    Rick

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Stacy,
    The window switches have part # 901.613.621.00 - parts supplied are identical to original electric window switches (once I got the first one & realised they were the real thing I got 2 more for spares!)
    The sunroof switch (smaller rocker type switch) is part #911.613.622.00.
    The details in Stoddard's catalog are very confusing - they list the 901 part as a s/roof switch & the 911 part as a s/roof, e/window & cab top switch! Go figure ...
    Nice skills repairing the switch
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306