Thread: advice on oil change sockets

joelrkaplan

advice on oil change sockets

ok, got all the paraphenlia required but have one question.....can any1 tell me what size hex sockets are needed for crankcase and reservoir on my 70T...TIA

admin_old
    10mm

Hmmm...both my drain plugs take 19mm....NOT hex, just a 19mm wrench size. If memory serves, my '70 T did as well. What's up?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sherwood I think Joel is talk'n about the sump and tank plugs...

That would be 19mm? ... my car is at home

Cheers,

Thanks Paul
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

joelrkaplan
    gracias......

Chuck, Joel may be running replacement plugs...when Ron Madio was here on his "big ride", we changed oil on his '77...then a 10mm hex was used, but tank only...sump was 19mm. Again "if memory serves". Joel, an afterthought...buy both! A guy can't have too many tools, right?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

joelrkaplan
    I was going to say that when I peeked underneath the car I saw what I believe was hex heads on oil tank and case...I will check again but I think Sherman may be right in respect to my car......

joelrkaplan
    they could be replacement plugs; maybe po swapped them out......its my first time tackling job.......

admin_old
    I was not aware of a change in sump and tank plugs. If so, my apologies. My '69 has 10mm internal hex plugs. However, the tank plug was replaced years ago with a Fumoto ball valve. This avoids the dreaded "stuck plug" scenario that seems to occur on many cars.

If it's an external hex plug, I'd think you could match it up with one of the metric sockets in your tool box? If so, use a six-point socket and a 1/2" drive breaker bar as it'll be tight.

Sherwood