After the break-in run to Monterey, the oil was changed, and valves, air/fuel adjusted. A couple of other minor annoyances were also addressed: squeeking clutch pedal, and noisey shift bushings. Since the motor now had 1500 miles on it, now was the time to finally get it beyond 4 grand and really wring out its potential. It was like looking forward to graduation day.

I have a favorite back road about 1.5 miles from the house which rolls through the country with lots of twisties (posted from 20 to 35 MPH) and some good connecting straights. There is very little traffic since its in the sticks and away from civilization. This was the perfect place (other than the track - ahem) to see what it would do in comparison to the tired 2.4 S motor it replaced.

First, the motor included SSIs and a Leistritz sport. Second, it has a rebuilt/recalibrated MFI pump courtesy of Gus and the motor was ported and balanced. An E-cam and 930 oil pump in a modified case were also added. The required upgrades were also included just to make it more bullet proof.

Impressions: Throttle response is immediate and strong. At about 2.5 grand up to about 5.5 it pulls like a chief. I can put much more power down sooner when coming out of the corners which is fantastic. The sound of the Leistritz at 4 grand and above is simply intoxicating. What a beautiful sound - going right up to the howl at 6000. I love the sound of it. Speaking of which, just putting along a 2 grand it has a nice throaty sound.

Where before, I would have to downshift to pass, now I just step on it and the power is right there. The motor also seems more fluid and runs like a sewing machine. It just seems like a better setup than the original 2.4 all the way around - except for sacrificing top end power with the absence of the S cam - but the car spends the majority of its time on the street.

I am very happy with it, and has enough power for the time being - because as we all know.... It's also fun to have part of a legend under the bonnet.

Would I recommend the upgrade to others? Emphatically, unless you need 3.6 power. But since I am keeping the original fender widths, I couldn't put it down anyway.

All for now. Your humble 'unbiased' reporter - Rick