Thread: Durant Mirrors, Over Riders

Durant Mirrors, Over Riders

I'm sourcing a few parts for my '69 S Coupe.

I'm looking for a Durant side mirror and I only have a very old Stoddard catalogue in front of me. It lists a couple of options including a repro and mentions something about size. Are there different sizes of Durant mirror? My original one is about 5 inches across the face. Would that be considered large or small?

I'd also like to put the correct front bumper over riders back on the car. Stoddards lists repros for this as well. Are they fairly decent? Is it best to install them with the bumper off (which it is at the moment) or does it matter?

Thanks for any advice.

A.T.

www.tweeks.com

If this is what you are looking for try this link mirror

Thanks RickS

I checked it out. That is pretty much what I'm after. However, they too offer a normal and larger size. Call me crazy but I'm considering a second mirror for the passenger side of my car. The mirror on the driver side now is about 5 inches across the face. Is that the smaller or larger size? Were the the specific sizes unique to certain years?

Thanks again.

A.T.

Re: Durant Mirrors, Over Riders

Originally posted by A.T.
    My original one is about 5 inches across the face. Would that be considered large or small?

A.T.
    Sure sounds like you have the larger durant mirror. My 67 has the smaller ones. (see below) However, the passenger side mirror is useless. It is completely blocked from view by the cars A post. OK if you are only after a balanced asthetic, otherwise I would not recommend drilling the holes.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Thanks Shawn

I was a little afraid of that. Nice '67. Did you install the passenger side mirror? What mirrors do you have on your '70T?

A.T.

A.T.

The reciepts indicate that the passenger side view was installed by the dealer when the car had just 200 miles on it.

The 70T has the larger 5" durant (driver side only) as the factory had intended.

Thanks for the complement and I'm glad to help out. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

The smaller Durant mirror (same one fitted to the 356C) was used on the 1965-'67 models after which the larger diameter version was used from 1968-'71/'72.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Since we are on the subject, I have the larger Durant mirror drivers side only...can't get the thing to move/adjust. It should move right? Anybody know if there is an adjustment screw or something?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Thanks Andy, Shawn

I dropped in on my mechanic yesterday to see how he's making out with some oil leaks on my car. The result being that all the fun trim bits like mirrors and over riders I've been fantasizing about have been moved down the list of priorities..........way down.

Three steps forward, two steps back.

Tom, I used a little WD40. Seemed to help.

A.T.

Originally posted by TKO
    Since we are on the subject, I have the larger Durant mirror drivers side only...can't get the thing to move/adjust. It should move right? Anybody know if there is an adjustment screw or something?

Thanks,
    I bought 2 "Durants" from Performance and they were shipped flat, i.e., turned around backwards to fit the box. After turning them back to normal, they didn't work for sh!t. So, I removed the mirror glass to see what was inside. A total piece of crap! Chinese at BEST. I carefully reassembled and sent them back. I bought a Talbot which is really useless, but looks cool and satifies the legal req'mt. I have a used OEM Durant with a broken glass. That seems to be the best deal. At least it will move, adjust and stay in place. Not correct for the car, but the flag mirror is really the hot setup.

As far as the pass side is concerned, he is right. Nearly impossible to find a good spot for viewing rearward that looks good. A Talbot won't turn far enough to adjust unless you mount it out front on the fender like the early racers did. I never could figure what they could see in such a small view field. I want my mirror in my face!