Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tool kit bag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question tool kit bag

Hi all,

just purchased a low mile 73t coupe w cis late production (sorry couldnt find an s)and the tool kit which is mint has the snap buttons ,(like the 74 I have) as opposed to the clasp fastener of my 72s Was it gospel that 72/73 911s had the bag with the clasps?
    thanks
    1973 E Targa 9113210927 metallic green
    1973 S coupe 9113300738 light Ivory
    2007 Cayman S daily driver
    member # 270

No, it is not gospel...

We should let the other 'tool mavens' respond...

However, I have one of the better original late '73 tool kits and it came in an 'elephant hide' pouch with snaps...

We've discussed before that the authenticity of the later 2.2 and 2.4 tool kits has more to do with the appropriate tools on the inside than the bag on the outside...

I think we said that what ever left over material around the factory trim shop was what was used for the bags... and there also seems to be not much rhythm between clasps and snaps either.

Sometimes, over beers, we'll lay out our tool kits and compare... to me, they all seem to be in different bags... right tools, but different bags.

Lets wait for da-tool-guys to hear what's what…. Eric, Jeff, Scott ???

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The toolkit that I have (which I bought on Ebay) has a basketweave bag with clasps. But that isn't the reason for my response. I have 4 wrenches that have grind marks on the faces of the wrenches, and one that is smooth.

When I was at Hershey, I looked for a fifth wrench with grind marks, since every other wrench I have found has a smooth face. One guy laughed at me. He said, "when they put these kits together in 1973, do you think that they purposely made sure that everything was the same? They had bins filled with these things. When the next shipment came in, they dumped it in the bins, and it was likely different than the ones that they got last time. When they put your kit together, they just grabbed what was closest. Probably most of the kits are different."

Well, I don't know if he is telling the truth, but it makes sense to me. (It just doesn't lessen my NEED to have them all the same!! )

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Question

Hi again,

while we are on the subject what are the correct type and # of screwdrivers for 72/73 I have both toolkits with the red handles and a reversable flathead and phillips head in one. I was deducted points at the zone one concourse a couple of weeks ago because the judge said I should have two seperate. yet in my original owners manual it clearly shows a single handle with the pull out reversable screwdriver. Whats the right call here?
    thanks
    member # 270

Do any of the VW tools cross over?

Larrry, unless that guy worked at the factory, I'd move on.

Guys,
    The tool kit that came with my 73 CIS targa (build date April 73) had clothe ties to keep it together. But my 73 S (build date March 73) had snaps. My 73 T (build date Oct 72) did not come with a tool kit but the travel kit that did come with it has 2 leather belt buckle type closures.
    The capitalist roader

3 types of bags in 73.

Early cars had the clasp type with 2 red handled screwdrivers, this kit was identical from late 69 to early 73. Possible exception is that in the 69 bag you would get "drop forged steel" scripted wrenches...and by 72 and early 73 you mostly got "selected special steel" scripted wrenchs. I am the second owner of a 71 E targa w/ 43K miles on it, the tool kit had two "selected" wrenches, and 3 "drop forged" wrenches.

The other two bags:

Cloth tie closed, or snap closure. Both of these bags came with a single driver....though I am not conversant on the color change from a red handle to a yellow handle. They also seemed to come with only "selected steel" wrenches. The plug wrench was different from the earlier kits in that it didn't have a 90 degree bend from the knob to the shaft, it had a 45 degree slope.

That's what I know.

If you have questions regarding 1965 to early 1973 toolkit's I'll answer any questions....but the later 73 kits and further on are foreign to me.

Eric

Originally posted by Soterik
    I am the second owner of a 71 E targa w/ 43K miles on it, the tool kit had two "selected" wrenches, and 3 "drop forged" wrenches.
    Eric
    Eric:
    Only you can be depended on to be the source of such detail. So, then, it seems that the guy I talked to at Hershey was probably correct in that there were probably different types of wrenches delivered in kits, depending on what was in the bin.

Your example of "selected" and "drop forged" wrenches is a case in point. I guess I shouldn't worry about the smooth versus the grinder surfaced faces of my wrenches. Just being anal - that's probably the result of not having a car to be anal about!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Here is my 10 cents worth on the matter of tool kits and tool kit bags.

1. Pre 73 tools had Drop Forged steel Germany stamped on them.

2. 73 Tools had Selected-Special- Steel West Germany stamped on them with the West Germany in smaller letters with the West stamped above the Germany on the shafts after the words Selected Special Steel.

I have seen no less than 4 yes 4 different bags in 1973 cars that I have owned or currently own and a picture opf those 4 is attached.

In order from top to bottom they are a complete fold over with no clasps or ties and no they have not been removed, a press stud type closer, the clasp type and finally the tie down style.

Of those all but the clasp type have been the same structure with the inside and oustside material matching and pockets for the tools on one side with a fold over flap on the other.

The clasp style has a different fawn colour material as the inside lining and has pockets for the tools on both sides.

The Aussie handbook for the cars shows a single screwdriver handle with a reversable shaft with phillips on one end and a flat end for the other. It is interesting to note that even in the handbook they state the toolkit is "subject to change". I have seen kits with thew two screwdrivers also.

As Chuck said I think there is no definitive answer.

Clyde

RS#101
    2.4S Targa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Guys ,

Wow thanks for all the help, I guess my bags are alright now all I have to do is get my screwdrivers in order and I will be good to go!
    member # 270