Thread: Steering wheel replacement questions

Steering wheel replacement questions

I have replaced my stock wheel with an age appropriate Prototipo. Didn't have too many problems with the replacement, but it is the aftermath that is bugging me.

1. The first time I replaced it, I didn't have the wheel lined up correctly (the front wheels were turned a bit), so I was driving around with the wheel at a 45 degree angle. Now, I have reset it so that it's straight, but the left directional doesn't turn off. Did I bend something? Or did I break something? If I pull the wheel off again, what do I need to do to fix this?

2. The wheel rocks up and down a bit when I push on it. I have been told that it needs a new steering wheel bushing. I section in the Porsche Shop manual that talks about steering just talks about suspension and front end stuff. Is this easily replaced?

3. Now that I have the new wheel in place, it rubs. The first time I put it on, I tightened the 23 mm nut too far, and the wheel was rubbing against the adapter. But I have loosened it, and there is space between the wheel and the adapter. I can't hear the scraping while I am driving (the engine is too loud ) but when sitting quietly, it is really annoying. I moved the large washer from the top of the spring to the bottom, but it still scrapes. Are there supposed to be two washers, one on each side of the spring? What am I missing here?

TIA.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Steering Wheel Info

Larry,
    There's at least one thread addressing this whole issue about replacing steering wheels and getting the spring and bushing in correctly. Just do a search for it.

Jol

Larry,

For the wobble, be sure you have the spring and bushing from your old wheel installed on the Momo adapter. The first time I did it, I installed it backwards and the wobble was horrible. Here's a thread on Pelican that may help in ID'ing the parts: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...eering+bushing.

For the turn signal, I think you can rotate the adapter to get the turn cancel thingy aligned correctly. Look on the back of your old wheel to see where it should be positioned.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300