Thread: How was the RS engine shroud different?

How was the RS engine shroud different?

I just got a copy of the Porsche early 911 Electronic Parts Catalog and started looking through it (pretty neat BTW) and found this
    interesting entry for the RS engine shroud. All of the different shrouds are listed (T,E,S) and there is also an entry for the RS shroud, different part number, no longer available however.
    Anybody know what's the difference? Here's the entry:

1) E(for NLA)
    911 106 901 03 AIR DUCTCOMPLETEUPPERRED 72- 1 911 SCARRERA 2.7
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

My PET lists that part for the 72- 911S and Carrera 2.7
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Bruce - if you look at the information you quote in your post (from PET) it says:

911 106 901 03 - 911S & Carrera 2.7 72-on

as Nick states.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Yes Nick, that's correct now that I look at this a little closer.
    They list all of the engine shrouds as available except this one.
    The 70/71 S engine shroud is available, just not the S shroud for the 2.4.
    They also list the roll bar as available, (though it's probably not really in stock anywhere)
    >> 911 803 020 01 ROLL BARSETF. SUBSEQUENT INSTALLATIONCOMPRISING: 72- 1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

Just a word to the wise....PET is a wonderful tool for those of us that work at dealerships, BUT all the CD programs are riddled with mistakes and misinformation. Just cause PET lists a part # doesn't mean that its accurate or correct for a given application. many parts are listed that have long been discontinued by Porsche.

Bottom line....just be careful with your $$ BEFORE you run off buying parts that are listed. Best to ask on this board for the old stuff. Many dealerships do not allow returns on special order parts, nor do they refund shipping fees which are currently 10% of the selling price of an item.

Good luck.

Good advice. I'm lucky enough to have a local parts manager who happens to be a close friend. He explores all possible
    inventories and is pretty good at finding items that are out there
    but hard to get and also letting me know if it does not exist.
    Never had to return a part he ordered. He found several
    through-the-grill fog light kits and bought them all (all sold
    immediately of course) and found a carbon fiber dash kit for my 993 that was the last one in existance. So, it really depends on the parts guy, some are willing to go the extra mile and find stuff that others miss. They are the ones you want to deal with.
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S