Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 69 tool kit / jack confusion

69 tool kit / jack confusion

Hello, I am a new member to this forum and in need of some help. I am the proud owner of a 1969 911E and trying to replace the tool kit / jack. The more research I do on this subject the more confused I get. There seem to be no concrete answers regardless of how many books I reference or people I speak to. The delivery date on my vehicle is 04/10/1969. If you guys dont have the answers, I dont know who will!!! Thanks What I would like to know is this... What material/pattern should the tool kit bag be made of?, should it have snap closures or a clasp type?, inside color? Should the jack be the type where you insert an elongated piece of metal and "jack it up ", or the type where you turn a small handle and " crank it up " like the mid 70's type. Thanks again
    Ivs
    69 911E

Tool kits are fairly easy...all contents for each year are listed in various publications..including Brett Johnson's "athenticity" book. The jack? Think VW beetle style jack...a pump handle that also serves as a lug wrench. Jacks with a crank handle were made for models later than '69. Oh, all wrenches should say: " Drop Forged Steel Germany"...other than the box end wrench, 19mm on one end, 22 mm on the other, which reads: "CHROM - VANADIUM" Caution...such an original jack is for show only. They are death traps. Buy a better jack for carrying...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I have referenced Brett Johnson's " authenticity " book, and it says nothing about the bag material/pattern. I should have been a little more specific about what I was asking. Concerning the jack, should the lug wrench that " jacks it up " be part of the tool kit?
    Ivs
    69 911E

yup
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I met a vendor at the Partsheaven swap meet this weekend who seems to know all there is to know about tool kits. His name is Scott (can't be certain of last name) and his email is rowdy205@cs.com
    He had many very nice concours quality complete kits for sale (expensive) and many individual tools. He showed me examples of the various tool pouches. I suspect he could answer all your questions.

69e

My 69e (euro spec) came with a smooth tool kit with the clasps.

Per

tool kit pics...

There are some good pictures of correct tool kits on pages 2 and 3 of this thread.

Hope that doesn't add to the confusion.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Your toolkit should look like the one on page 3, last one posted by Glaverbel, with the two clasp closures. But, it should have the smooth naugahyde vinyl, same color interior, or could be tan.

The Authenticity guide is a bit deceiving....the picture on the top left corner of page 44 is the picture of the 1968 and 1969 toolkit.

Your open end wrenches should be scripted "drop forged steel", your pliers should have raised cutting area, be NON polished, and have cross hatching on the handles.

Box end wrench should say Chrom-Vanadium.

Both screwdrivers should be red handled with a raised script of "10,000 volts".

Fan belt wrench should be scripted P208

Wheel nut wrench/lug wrench should be scripted 19mm Klein at the head, or just 19mm, it may or may not have a bent end at the opposite end of the head.

Allen wrench may be scripted "klein 911SW" or may be completely blank.

And I can also probably answer any question you have about a toolkit (1973 is my only problem year....)

Regards,

Eric
    elinden@earthlink.net

Ivs? You can trust Eric....he knows his, er, "stuff". Me? I just kept the same old car for a lot of years, now use it for reference. Eric does research...

Originally posted by pwd72s
    . . . You can trust Eric. . .
    Paul,
    I agree completely. Eric guided me through buying my toolkit. He had more details than I ever thought possible on a simple toolkit.

Eric "wrote the book" on toolkits -

Hey Eric . . . maybe there is a book in your future??!?!?!?!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC