Thread: Going to Goodwood/London - must see?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Going to Goodwood/London - must see?

"Halm" and I (with our significant others) are headed to London and then on to Goodwood for the Festival of Speed next week. We were wondering if there are any "must see" Porsche/racing/car things that we need to make sure are on our itinerary while we are in London. We won't have a car until we pick up the rental for the race weekend, so it would need to be something we could get to via the Tube or by cab. We'll be staying in Arundel while attending Goodwood so anything in West Sussex that might be of interest would be good to know too.

Anyone else on the board going to be there? Can't wait!!
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Hi Tom

I live 60 miles from Goodwood so will be there on the Friday. I honestly can't think of anything close to the centre of London worth seeing. Rent the car earlier and take a trip to Autofarm, Francis Tuthill and Oxford.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Thanks Nick, we've got a car for Thursday afternoon through Monday morning. We may need to plan a side trip... Are you only going to FOS on Friday?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Rennsport AND Goodwood?
    You guys are living right, have a great trip.

Jim

If you're big and brave a quick trip up the M1 (motorway) to Donnington Park to see the Donnington Collection is a possibility.

Getthing there from central London is no too difficult, allow a couple of hours if leaving early, straight there, send the morning looking over the world's largest collection of F1 cars, the return to London via the M42 and M40 to stop by Autofarm and Tuthills. Again a two and a half hour trip...

All of these places are moments from the motorways.

A long but doable day trip.

Otherwise nearer to Central London is Brooklands, birthplace of Britisih motor racing, pretty good museum with alarge number of aircraft as welll, 'cos Brooklands was also an airfield and aircraft factory.

They now have a Concorde as well, in bits.

I can generate a little road map, itinery if that would help....

Tom

I will only be there on Friday, it get's a bit crowded for me at the week end. I will be in a Silver LHD 73.5T

If you have a cell phone with you give me a call on 07980 017994

A friend of mine wil be driving his BMW CSL up the hill.

Wish I was going but work commitments prevent it. Last year I nearly got run over by Surtees in a silver arrows!

Mike

I think the 750 motor club have a race weekend at Brands Hatch that weekend. You could take in some grass roots UK motorsport at a fantastic circuit
    To ask is to seek denial

Ahhh, good tips. My wife and I are also flying over to London and will be at the FOS on Friday.

Nick, is the Bonhams auction worth the time and energy?

I went to the auction a few years ago. There were some interesting cars, and they seemed to be reaching high prices.

I forgot about the auction. Is that a Friday only event and is it on the grounds? I think our tickets are Saturday and Sunday only. I hope we did not pick the wrong days to go, looks like you are all choosing Friday?!

Nick, we may have a phone with us, I'll add your number in.

Thanks Silver911, I'm not sure we'll be able to work that all in, but Brooklands sounds possible.

Hello Jim. Yes, it's been a great year! add in the annual weekend at Pettite LeMans this Fall to top it off.

These are all great tips, thanks guys.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3