Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Proposed R Gruppe Monterey 2005 Track Day

I think that the mid-week thing could possibly be a consideration for a lot of potential drivers. H'ver I also think that with enough advance notice there stands a better chance of getting a viable number committed.

Jack, Chk w. Dave B/TRE as I have emailed him recently about this... I included you as well, but I had a bad email addy for you.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Parts of this thread have come up again and again...

"Now that you have this super cool car, what are'ya gone'a do with it?"

"Now that you've built this super cool car should you threaten on the track?"

"Man, that car looks SO good in the parking lot, AND has SO much juice, I wonder WHAT it'll do on the track?"

"If you can afford a 'race car', build one and ONLY race it on the track"

"The ONLY REAL way to use your super cool car IS on the track"

"Other then on the track, getting anywhere CLOSE to the potential of your super cool car is completely insane"

I think it's all healthy debate...

I also think, for the most part, we own cars over 30 years old that can match or better the performance of ANY car on the road today... AND you should use that performance potential, or not, in a responsible way that brings joy to your heart... with the least amount of threat to your investment.
    When I see one of our cars with a lot of performance potential that just sits in the parking lot, it does seem odd and curious... and kind'a frustrating. BUT IT'S NOT MY CAR!!!

Some of us can only afford ONE performance car, if we could manage, we would own a dedicated race car... but such is life. Sometimes, when driving my car out to the track, I wonder if I'm having a little more fun then the folks towing there car... of course I am... but once out there THEY have all the fun....

For me, at least for now, it's one car that I'm squeezing as much parking lot, track, and mountain time as I can.... and the clock never stops ticking...

See ya in Monterey...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi Kurt,

Haven't heard from ya in a while... good to know your still here at the S Registry !!

I appologise if I upset or offended anyone by my earlier post, as that was not my intention.

I gotta correct you on my "racing" .....I don't race...All I have worked up to is Time Trialing, which as you know is different than actual w2w competition. H'ver the photo above does I supposed look pretty racy....like that's what I might be doing !!!

What I ment by "...parking lot Porsche admiration, 2 stroke margarita mixers and bench racing the last backroad banzai run...all of which is a lot of fun....but what if you've BTDT? is simply that after doing all that....what's next?

I believe that to truely realize the potential of our cars as well our own driving abilities in a safe manner, one must take it out on the track on occasion. Afterall....Isn't RGruppe for the "Sports Purpose" early 911 enthusiast, dedicated to the Porsche factory 911 racing cars of the 1965-1973 era?

It doesn't take a trailer and tow rig to have a fun day turning laps. A lot of drivers arrive sitting in the same car they are out on the track in. You drive SloopII all the way to Monterey every year (although I know you wish you could trailer it).

If the members of RGruppe think they are having fun blazing away on country back roads and canyons, they are missing another whole level of car and driver performance potential. I am going to keep trying to get an "RGruppe track day" at next years North meets south get together. Hopefully there will be no headqtrs commitment during this years event and we can have some flexibility for the date and location so as to help make this happen.

Remember nothings mandatory....if ya want to participate great!!! If ya just want to come out and watch that's great too!!! just a day of turning laps on a track...no one will be forced to come out....it will be run in conjunction with an already pre-existing event. NO Rgruppe organizational liability or exposure....individuals enter as sole individuals, indepentant of any club or group.

Now the guys who have BTDT with regards to the track in years gone by, well I'll bet they too might have a blast hittin' it again for old times sake with all their RGruppe buds for a day of safe fun on a track vs. the blind corners, on-coming traffic and solid trees of back road blazing.......

Now as far as S. Cal goes, there are plans to assemble a list of RGruppe members who are either already track licenced (TT or w2w) or wishing to become so. We will as outlined above initially enter existing track events and just run in an existing run group(s) Eventually perhaps with enough participation we will get our own early 911 run group...although not required but we will all pit together !!!

we have a good core group of guyz already... so if any RGruppe members are interested pm me here at the S registry and we'll go have some safe fast track time.

RGruppe
    *on track*
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

John, that picture of the Rooster is awesome.

My email is jackolsen (at) comcast.net . I'll make sure it's up to date in my profile here at the registry.

I guess you could divide early car owners into four groups: 1) collectors, 2) owners of street-driven cars, 3) owners of track-driven cars, and... 4) the nutjobs who drive them on the street and to, from, and at the track.

I'm a member of the fourth group, and Chuck Miller was one of the key inspirations for getting there.

But all four of the groups are good, in my opinion. Everybody's got to find the way that works for them. Kurt doesn't track his car as often as some, but he does give it a workout, often -- and it's quite possibly the coolest early 911 I've ever seen.

Thx for the compliment Jack the photo make me look better than I am....!!!

Anyway, I don't want to blow this whole thing out of context..... Bottom line is that blasting around on the street or back roads, canyons etc at 7/10 is inherently more dangerous than driving 9/10 on the track.

Rgruppe guys who like to do it really ought to think twice and consider some DE(if they haven't already...) and then some fun laps at the track before shrugging the idea off... that's all.

And contrary to popular belief...I still street my car ...honest!!!

anyway it's all good..
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

No one is judging you Kurt. O.k?

I am getting the feeling that you are picking up some sort of torch and running with it..... Please do not mistake my posts as directed at you, I find that idea as strange as you do.

I'm just trying to stimulate some interest in having some fun turning laps in a safe enviorment with as many early 911 hot rods as possible. If you don't want to come play, that's o.k. too, no harm, no foul.

Peace bro....
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    Hey common Kurt, it’s not like we are asking the sewing club to go streaking.
    Is it a reach to believe track prepped 911s might enjoy circulating the track?

This is not addressed to you personally but to all 911 owners.

If you are not in it for driver improvements then at least try it once to dial in your car.
    How many hot rod 911s have never adjusted a sway bar? So come out to the track in a controlled environment and adjust your sway bars. Some would find their cars are completely unbalanced; others might uncover safety or tech issues. Happens to cars prepped at Andial too, loose engine mounts just last weekend.

So after one day at the track the new guy goes home with a track tuned suspension, along with new knowledge of tech and safety issues. He’ll also get to ride in some well driven 911s. He gets to safely experience the limits of these cars and he receives some driver education as well.

It amazes me that after the age of 16 most drivers never again seek any other driver training. At 16 what did they teach us anyways, rules of the road? Last weekend my wife took a 3 day PCA performance driving school. In my mind that should be the minimum or enough as you say.

Lastly having satisfied the need for speed you’ll have less desire to flog it on the streets.

You won’t be alone at the track. I’m sure John and I would be happy to transport your tires or equipment. You really don’t need to bring much. We already have air compressors, jacks, tools, shade, chairs, lunch and air conditioning, TV/VCR. Since you are in R Gruppe if you did break down at the track several of us trailer equipped R Gruppe guys would gladly put your car on our trailer and tow it to your home. You would only have to follow while driving our 911.

What is enough? Enough is just your own self imposed limits. It is every member’s right to do their own thing. In turn we would appreciate everyone’s support in encouraging drivers to sort their cars and bring their basic driving skills closer to the potential of their Hot Rod 911. Please do not tint the track experience as anything less than it really is, nor glamorize felony driving on public roads.

Sounds kinda heavy, hope it didnt put a harsh on anyone's mellow?

track time

Quote Originally Posted by JackOlsen
    If anyone's up for another R Gruppe day at Willow Springs, I instruct for a group that could give us our own run group, a free lunch and 2.5 hours of track time for less than $150 each, providing we could get about 15 guys together. The only limitation is that they book midweek days.

The last R Gruppe day we did at that track was a blast. This way of doing it would bring the price down even further for that type of event.
    I would be interested if I am in town, keep me informed, thanks.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Thanks for the support Eade...your name is "on the list"

Ya know... That new RSR of yours need an appropriate "dog-pound" to run around in ....!!!!
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Deleting old posts since I am leaving the forum and came across this..

Yes, believe it or not... this is where the R Gruppe SPD started.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187