Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed R Gruppe Monterey 2005 Track Day

Originally posted by Gburner
    .....We had limited success when the R Gruppe rented the Big Willow track this year.
    Honestly it appears the majority are content with finding their 6/10ths limits on the street rather than 9/10ths at the track. How many members would drive on a track?
    Well said MG.

"Everyone's actual scale may differ but I think we can agree that driving 9/10ths on the street is not a good idea. It can be done, but the consequences are many and severe.

IMHO, If you have never driven on a track and have never recieved performance driving training 6/10ths of your own potential skills and 6/10ths of your car's potential is about all you can experiance.

9/10ths to me means cornering while maintaining the max acceptable slip angle on every turn. Big Willow Turns 1 & 2, 5 & 6 and 7 & 8 taken at my best speeds are not comparable to any experiances I've had on a public road.

Not to scare anyone off, first time track guys can learn at your own speed and just enjoy driving fast in a safe enviroment with run off areas, medical workers on site and no public traffic or police to distract you."

I don't got a cent more to add....well said my son !!!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Well, while there seems to be some agreement that this track day may not be for everyone, I also agree with Mike's assessments. I've had many students that will never get to 9/10ths (in a controlled and consistent manner) because it is simply not in their nature to do so, even when they would like it to be - and that's OK. It is also my personal opinion that we as the R Gruppe should not be in the business of trying to teach driver's skills - as there are plenty of other opportunuities to do that elsewhere. My primary goal here is to provide a venue for the track junkies among us to get our adrenaline fix and have some sane fun in a safe enviornment during our time in Monterey. Otherwise, we run the risk of unwittingly sucking someone into having a big accident on the tour when we feel like streaching our legs and they try to hang with us. If we have a track day beforehand, I would think that would be less likely to happen, and we won't feel so frustrated.

Having said all that, I would not want this track day to appear exclusive in any way, and I would want it to be open to all R Gruppe members who would like to drive Laguna Seca at speed, have an approved helmet, and have prepared their car so that it will pass the safety tech inspection. We may need more than one run group.

Still waiting to hear from Cris...
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I will check with NASA to see if they have any idea of schedule for 2005, which circuits in May etc.
    From my involvement with local PCA, I am pretty sure the dates at Laguna are almost a lottery. Thats why they canvas for "1st half of year", "2nd half of year".
    Not wanting to be a killjoy, but I think our chances of "choosing" a date at Laguna are pretty slim, but we should pull all the strings available - especially whatever help Bruce Hermann can offer.

Regards

Hayden
    Technical Director
    Windrush Evolutions Inc.

Originally posted by Hayden Burvill
    Remember Laguna is likely to be 92db max for anything we can be involved with.
    I think it is more likely we will be stuck with a 90db limit at Laguna Seca these days. I would still go, though, if we could get it together. I think a run group in someone else's event would be much more feasible than trying to rent the track ourselves. LSR is VERY expensive.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Originally posted by a911s
    Well, while there seems to be some agreement that this track day may not be for everyone, I also agree with Mike's assessments. I've had many students that will never get to 9/10ths (in a controlled and consistent manner) because it is simply not in their nature to do so, even when they would like it to be - and that's OK. It is also my personal opinion that we as the R Gruppe should not be in the business of trying to teach driver's skills - as there are plenty of other opportunuities to do that elsewhere. My primary goal here is to provide a venue for the track junkies among us to get our adrenaline fix and have some sane fun in a safe enviornment during our time in Monterey. Otherwise, we run the risk of unwittingly sucking someone into having a big accident on the tour when we feel like streaching our legs and they try to hang with us. If we have a track day beforehand, I would think that would be less likely to happen, and we won't feel so frustrated.

Having said all that, I would not want this track day to appear exclusive in any way, and I would want it to be open to all R Gruppe members who would like to drive Laguna Seca at speed, have an approved helmet, and have prepared their car so that it will pass the safety tech inspection. We may need more than one run group.

Still waiting to hear from Cris...
    To repeat JR's phrase, "Well said, ..........."

Randy, great post. In the event that this does come to pass, I think it will provide safer driving conditions for any backroads tour that takes place.

Different run groups would probably be mandatory, and the safest way to go IMHO. The dedicated track cars and Pristine real RS's wouldn't really make good track partners or would they..??

anyway.....we'll see !!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Randy, et al,

Ok, NASA has been mentioned. PRC (Porsche Racing Club), NCRC (Northern California Racing Club) Monterey Region PCA (Hank Watts). I have contacts with all these groups (as I suspect many of you have) so, let's hear from Chris and check the schedule and see who'll join us or who's coat tails we can ride.
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

The Golden Gate Region of PCA already had their one event at Laguna Seca over Memorial Day:

http://www.pca-ggr.org/timetrial.html

Monterey Bay and Loma Prieta Regions of PCA have a Drivers' Education Weekend on June 26-27 at Laguna Seca:

http://www.coastaldriving.org/firstpage.htm

Otherwise, may need to look at other tracks.

Those are (were) for 2004. We're talking about next Spring.

What does it cost to rent Thunderhill?

(And to correct some flattering compliments: I'm not a racer, don't have a competition license, and only time trial on street tires.)

...Chris will advise regarding this club adventure. All details regarding costs and scheduling are easily found at the various track/club web sites.
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association