Thread: Rear torsion bar bushings

Rear torsion bar bushings

Hi all,

I'm new to this list (I'm a 356er) but posting the following question for a buddy who has a '67 912 (SWB) with recently replaced rear torsion bar bushings. The original rubber ones were replaced with hard plastic (delrin, nylatron or ?) and the ride is now very hard and squeaky. The shop that did the work says that the original style is no longer available. The outside diameter is smaller than both 356 and later 911/912 ones but the ID is the same.

I'm thinking of turning the oversize ones down to the right diameter. Anyone have any experience with this or any alternatives?

TIA,

...Bill

http://www.elephantracing.com/
    http://www.paragon-products.com/
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/

I just put weltmeister neatrix bushings on the rear of my '72 from Paragon and Im pretty happy with them so far. If I had a little extra money I'd use the Elephant Racing bushings. The guys at Pelican can get just about anything.

Good luck!
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

do the after market bushing give a harder ride when compared to the stock?
    My bushings have settled and I am planning on replacing them.......so my choices are original or aftermarket.

The only stock bushings I could compare my current setup to were the 30yr old deformed rubber bushings that were on the car.

Im running 22/28 t-bars, Koni Sport Yellows, Elephant poly-bronze in the front, and the Neatrix on the rear of my car. Thanks to Chuck Moreland at Elephant Racing and Jason at Paragon-Products for helping me get everything lined out. I was a little worried about harshness before I got a chance to drive the car. The ride is great, not harsh at all.
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

The original bushings are still available from Porsche. I just bought a set for my 65 911. I'm not sure were the reciept is right now, but I remember I was surprised how cheap they were. So try the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuie
    I just put weltmeister neatrix bushings on the rear of my '72 from Paragon and Im pretty happy with them so far.
    AFAIK, the Neatrix bushings are not available for the SWB cars, and Chuck's were still under development and not yet on the market. The original post specified a '67 912, so I don't believe these options are possible for that car as they were for your '72.

I would love to be wrong and hear that the Elephant SWB polybronze bushings are out now. Chuck?

Kstens- what bushings did you buy from the dealer? The springplate bushing is integral (bonded) and the last time I checked you had to buy the whole SWB springplate to renew them. I went with the Swayaway adjustables because of this on my SWB car, which has the added advantage of making it easier to corner balance.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Spring plate bushings 1967 911 or 912

have been waiting to check before responding to this question. My parts book only goes up to 1967. And it helps to have cars to trial fit parts. If your friend is replacing plastic bushings rubber ones should still be avalilble.

I took a set of bushings for my 1965 to the shop to verify the fit into the 1967. The change was "up to Model A" and "after model A" (The serial number change for the 911 was 305 101). Prior to the change the inner bushing had a smaller OD diameter, conical shape from 71 down to 68mm and 32mm wide. (It seems to me they also fit the 356C and has a 356 part number 644.333.131.00). The dimension of the inner bushing socket on the 1967 is larger in diameter and width than the 1965-66 at 75mm OD and 46mm wide. (ID on all are 47mm). From 1967 on both the inner and outer bushing are the same size: Porsche part number 901.333.195.00.

The ones I have were from Stoddard. If not available today, check with Performance Products for their Neatrix rubber bushings. They listed the larger outers (same as the inners from 1967 on) so you should be able to fit all up to the bonded ones - which I beleave came in 1969.

Bob