Thread: Suspension Work Pricing

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

Suspension Work Pricing

Just curoius what I should expect to pay for the following suspension work for my 73S - at an established independent shop, experienced wrench with top notch equipment:

Remove and Install new spring plates (adjustables from an SC - parts supplied so don't add part cost) Front and rear ride height adjust to spec, full 4 wheel alignment and balance.

Ball park guesses welcome. I have a quote, but think it sounds rather high.

Thanks!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Are you changing torsion bars? I was just wondering because that would add to the work needed to figure out the ride height.

Did you take off the rocker trim? That can add a bit of time.

I would estimate
    $200 alignment
    $200 corner balance
    3 hours @ $75 for the springplate swap

So $625 before shop charges.

Are you changing any of the other bushings? Now would be the time. Especially the rear banana arm bushings up by the transmission.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Let me add one caveat. I am a cheap bastard, so I wouldn't be surprised if the quote was 50% higher. The quote above is the max I would want to pay.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Thanks Neil,

That's about the price I was expecting. I'm keeping stock T-bars and rockers will come off in 5 mins. Left instructions to check bushings.

Try almost 100% higher (!).
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    It all depends on the condition of everything before your wrench goes to work. I would guess have guessed twice NeilK's estimate, apparently what your wrench did quote you. Balancing an early 911 right, the first time, is an art, and easy screwed-up in the wrong hands. Go get a second opinion if the shop is as good as your first estimate.

But bottomline -- your car's worth, what, north of $35,000? Investing $1,000 + to balance your car doesn't seem excessive to me.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

$625 would be nice. What do you add for broken/frozen bolts and rusted stuck T-bars. One end or the other has to come free easily or it becomes a long day even it you are keeping the stock bars. Ask me how I know.

If this same mechanic knows the car and has worked on it before, one of two things can/will occur. He will add some time because he knows the car is a tough one and much of it has not seen any work for years, hence difficulty (the opposite can be true as well). Or, he knows the owner (you) is particular and will ask alot of questions and expect every little detail attended to (again, the opposite may be true).

I do similar work in that I work for the public customer and I have to average the good and the bad together to come up with my rate. I truely wish I could give the customers who are a delight to work for a much lower rate, but the PITA's aren't going to pay more to offset that discount. Actually, as often as not, the PITA's are the price shoppers. I get rid of a lot of them through natural selection. They pay less to a man who does less. They get what they pay for and I'm happier to be out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR

Try almost 100% higher (!).
    Where are you having the work done? Before I bought mine it had front struts replaced at German Motors, I'll see if I can locate the invoice for $$ spent.
    '71 911S Targa

Work is being done at Munks. I chose them after reviewing their alignment equipment at a recent tech session. There's also a mechanic there (Dave) who really knows his stuff, and has setup many 911s for track and street.

Yes, it's going to be pricey... and they seem very meticulous about creeping the bill up. Bottom line though, I want it done right... and we just don't have as many options around here as the SoCal guys. I don't mind paying for quality... it's just that those 7" wheels are now going to have to wait till next season.

I'll let you know what the final bill is. Decided to have them replace front shifter bushings too... which were pretty shot. Should have the car back soon.

How's your experience with German Motors? I've heard some not so good things about them... but that was a long time ago. They are very close to my office so it would be a convenient place to go.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Had my 73 S done last year, lowered and corner balanced. Lots of little things were well worn or flat worn out which needed replacing as well: bushings, ripped CV boot, turbo tie rod ends, new drop links, this and that. By the time the car was re-aligned and the tires re-balanced the bill came just north of $1200. The difference in driving characteristics was nothing short of phenominal. Before, where the car was pleasant to drive, it now hunkers down and grabs the corners. The suspension does not get upset easily, and it is now truly confidence inspiring at speed, (maybe too much!), but none the less, a completely different car. Only thing missing now are a new set of S03s.

May you have a similar experience, but just be ready to pay for it (like everything else associated with these cars). If it is done well, it will be money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR
    How's your experience with German Motors? I've heard some not so good things about them... but that was a long time ago. They are very close to my office so it would be a convenient place to go.
    It was the PO that dealt with them, I just got all the receipts when I bought the car. Most of the work that's been done on it since I've owned it has been done by some A$$hole that goes by the name of Jonnysocko. Next up, rear brake pads! As far as what I've noticed with German's work, it seems to be up to par, the only complaint that I have is that they did a supposed clean and adjust on the Webbers and I had to do a little more tweeking on them to get things smoothed out.
    '71 911S Targa