Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing Fuchs

Fuchs, Grasshopper

I am humbled, but have only learned from those more knowledgeable than I....

"new" ride, 67S soft window targa, Aga blue....hope the pic fits! (needs correct wheels, seats, and fogs)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    "new" ride, 67S soft window targa, Aga blue....hope the pic fits! (needs correct wheels, seats, and fogs)
    Eric:

Looks like a beaut!!! But I need more info (now that we have highjacked this thread). What is the history, is this an "original?" Since you are an "original" kind of guy, unless this blue beauty is a Euro, you going to change out the headlight rims for the Deco art of the USA kind?

More details, more pictures, more details - (did it come with a tool kit, or are you going to have to add one of your own?!?!)

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Eric,

You're my new hero. That car is absolutely brilliant!!!! I'm VERY jealous!

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Just a beautiful car Eric. Please tell us more now, and let us know how it goes as you get the car the things she needs.

Great to meet you at the Emory's

Alan B
    69S Targa lightweight, almost ready for the road

Beautiful car Eric

Where and how did you find it?

Perhaps we can also appoint you Soft Window Targameister.
    Dick Moran

To get things back on track a bit. Here are photos of wheels, that I just un-wraped, from Harvey W. A set of 4 deep sixes and a pair of 911R wheels. The photo below shows one of the R wheels. Harvey refinished them the all the same. He put on the paint at the same location as was done originally. Some folks want a paint line further into the wheel to show off the spoke more.

I was hanging out with Harvey at Rennsport in an area full of 911 ST, R, and RSR cars and we discussed at length the wheels on the different cars. I finally asked if he done any them. He paused, looked around, and said that he had done just about all of them. Very impressive credentials.

Eric,
    That car is fantastic. Can't wait to see and hear more about it.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Wow! Beautiful wheels. Even in pictures Harvey's work is incredible.

FWIW, I will have a set of RSR finished Fuchs coming back from Al Reed within another week or so. Total damages were $470 to refinish the (4) 15x7 wheels + $75 to straighten 1 wheel + return shipping costs.

I wanted a finish that Harvey is well known for replicating perfectly. I decided to go with Al Reed because I was in a rush to get my car back on the road and his wait time estimates were shorter. Al was a little cheaper as well, but my biggest concern was not price. I only wanted the finish to look right and to be maintanable. I'll post pics of the Al Reed version of the RSR finish as soon as they arrive.

My next set of fuchs (standard 16x7s and a custom offset 16x8s) is going to Harvey for the RSR finish. I don't know when these will be done, but I'll post them side by side with Al's wheels for a comparison when they come back.

I have probably been wrong about this, but I thought Al Reed was better known for polishing work and Harvey Weidmen was known for the perfect anodizing work. While Harvey and Al seemed better known for different things, I figured either could probably do just about anything with these wheels. I'd never met Harvey or Al in person, but speaking with them on the phone left me under the impression that they were both absolutely 1st class people and probably some of the best in the wheel refinishing business.
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Does anyone know how he gets the 2 tone anodised finish? Is the rim beadblasted before anodising?
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Sorry for not posting these any sooner.

I'm very happy with the work Al Reed did on these wheels. Al straightened one of the wheels and refinished the entire set for less than $600.

#711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss
    Does anyone know how he gets the 2 tone anodised finish? Is the rim beadblasted before anodising?
    I just picked up my 2 sets of wheels from Al Reed on Wed., and I talked to Diane about this. They do the "frosted" RSR finish by lightly beadblasting after the wheel is polished and anodized. Since the anodizing is just a very thin surface finish, it seems to me this would compromise the protective nature of the coating, but I'm not sure. I wonder how Harvey does them?

I talked to her about doing the 2-stage finish Eric described above on my 4.5" x 15" Fuchs, but they are not set up to do it. I called Weidman's shop, and they will do them for $225/wheel with a 12 week turnaround. I guess I don't need them redone that badly.

Here's a pic of the 7 & 8 x 15" set I had done in Bahama Blue for street wheels on my RS-look (I'm doing it in silver with blue graphics):

and the 8 & 9 x 16" set done in the early style w/ 245 & 265 Kumho V700s for the track:

Question for the RS guys--- Did the factory use painted or clear finish center caps on the color-matched Fuchs? I have seen both, and think I prefer the polished look in the center rather than painted. I can always switch caps, and use the polished caps on the blue wheels, since both sets of wheels can't be on the car at the same time.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!