Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 911R prototypes

911R prototypes

This subject popped up in another thread. According to Paternie's little red book there were 3 911R prototypes based on 67 cars, 307670/1 and 305876, the rest had 68 VINs:
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

If memory serves, the "silver weenie" was a '67...pretty rare bird indeed. It raced in the '67 (I think) Sebring race, Gary Wright at the wheel... Alan Johnson won in a sister car...I might be off on the year, but remember Gary telling me of a fading engine costing him the race, later backed up by reading a letter written by Terry B., who managed Porsche Cars Northwest...I'll post the pic again here...I think these cars deserve a seperate thread...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

PWD72 (et al):

Was this "silver weenie" an all-steel car?

If not... how much of it (bumpers, hood, etc) was fiberglass?? I'm just curious as to the mix of fiberglass and steel on this obviously a "non-911R" configuration. How about the engine...any specs available?

A related question to all: Were the early "rally" cars all steel as well? how about any fiberglass/steel mix on those?

cheers
    Thom Kuby

All the later Porsche rally cars I have seen were all steel (they needed to be for strength). The 1969 Tour de Corse (which was more of a race) 911R was a lightweight car. These had GRP front wings, bumpers, top and bottom of dashboard, tail light assemblies, front lid and engine cover. Some doors were GRP, some aluminium.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

There were actually 4 prototypes built in addition to the 20 'production' models.

I have personally witnessed the ground-up restoration of prototype #3 & have provided Ernie Wilberg with detailed pictures of both prototypes #3 & #4 for display on his excellent website:

http://www.pbase.com/911r

I'm sure it won't be long before Ernie chimes in here...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

As far as I know, the silver weenie was all steel. But as it's race carreer went on, things "evolved"...as race cars tend to do. For example, I believe that is 2.0 engine "evolved" into a 2.5 by the time it ran it's last race...also, I don't think the term "prototype" was used when it was built, but could be wrong here..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Cool

Excerpt from some book on my shelf-

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Were any of the "R"s converted to "S"s?

My old mechanic in Miami said he bought one from Brumos in the late 60s and it had started off as a race car and then converted to an S. I never saw the car, but I remember him telling me about it. I think he passed away in the last 10 years.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

here's another obscurity-

RGruppe #183

Again, scanned from my bookshelves. I don't know if the word "prototype" is the term ze engineers at ze fectory used to describe the experimental lightweight precursers to the O-ficial 911R. But they did exist-

RGruppe #183