Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on 73 VGE - Kermit

Progress on 73 VGE - Kermit

Well, it's been a bit since I posted pix and my long story of the progress on my car. Things have been delayed a bit. Complications with many little details. I have been told by Paul (pwd72s) that restorations always take twice as long and cost twice as much as planned. Well, I feel like I am joining Chris (yopurp) in the long wait. But we are finally at a point of getting green painted, which is helping my spirits.

The longest part of this is that my fabric guy has kind of fallen down on the job. He found the yarn we needed, and sent it to the dye house. The problem was that he never told the dye house to rush it - so they ordered the special color fast black I wanted - by slow boat - and then they shut down on July 4th for two weeks. That really threw a monkey wrench into the works. The fabric is likely not going to be ready till end of August now, which means car pickup the end of September, 1st week in October. Just in time for the fall colors.

Latest pictures:

Here's a pic of the doors in primer, ready for their Viper Green conversion.

Note: You can load up a single picture to show within the thread, but if you load up more than one picture, it only shows the attachment name and you need to click on it to view. Why??

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

larry, are you talking about the houndstooth seat fabric? If so, shoot me a PM. Ive got some interesting news.....

BTW, nice work!
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Another

Here's a picture of the fender ready to paint. All patched and primed.

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Really Green

And, as a transition, the can of green paint. Interestingly enough, DuPont didn't have a listed mixing formula for Viper Green in their standard book for ChromaOne, their top line paint. They had it in one of their lesser grades. Mike thought that he might get a quart of the paint in a lower grade, paint it and then bring the painted piece back to the store to have them computer match. I wasn't thrilled. So the paint shop called DuPont, and they created a custom mix formula - from the factory - for the paint code for Viper Green. Mike took the paint and dabbed it against the inside of the trunk, which was still green. It matched perfectly. We are rocking!!!

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

The trunk

First, Mike painted the trunk. Originally he said that he was just going to clean it up, that there was too much to mess with in the trunk to repaint it completely. But, I guess that he changed his mind. He is really doing a bang up job here -- first rate!!!

This is the trunk as it was originally.

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

More trunk

Here's the trunk after he had it all masked off, ready to paint. Notice that the front lock plate is totally stripped of all of the red paint. Gone is the guards red, on to Viper Green.

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

More trunk

Here's the trunk with it painted. This is VERY GREEN, but it will look great -- I can't wait.

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Last trunk shot

Here's a shot from the side. Note that Mike has pulled the gas tank, and told me that he will be painting the tank so that it looks consistent with the rest of the car. He wasn't going to do it originally, but seeing how the rest of the car is going to look so nice, he wanted to to all look the "same age." So, the tank will be repainted, too.

That's it for this installment. I will post more pictures and notes when I get them.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry, all impressive! Thanks for sharing. I envy your patience.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The long wait will mean less and less as the years of ownership pass.

On the other hand, when you and Chris (yopurp) reach the end of your restorations, I think it would make a good thread to compare the two experiences -- both good and bad -- in bringing early cars back from the brink.