Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on 73 VGE - Kermit

The goods and bads

I wondered about some kind of "help" guide that would help people through the process of buying one of these cars and restoring them.

I have had visions of doing my own webpage with pictures and story. It is now a small novella, and may not be finished before the car is. But I have tried to address some of my trials and tribulations of the voyage.

I hope that the fun of this voyage isn't in the chase. I am looking forward to many years driving this bright green treasure. How hard is it to learn how to drive a stick?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Really Larry, no sweat learning how to drive a stick...I learned in a WWII surplus jeep, also a 1950 Ford pickemup with ZERO synchros. It's kind of like sex. Anybody can do it, really. C'mon out to Orygun...it's only a 4 speed, with a four range transfer case, but I'll let you practice on this....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    How hard is it to learn how to drive a stick?
    larry
    C'mon now, your're BS'ing us, right? No? OK!!!

I'll be glad to fly out and give lessons. Nothing with a stick has ever had a chance when I take the wheel!
    When I'm done with you your passenger will swear he or she are riding in a car with an automatic in it.
    Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, Corvettes, GTOs, Chevelles 454's, Buicks(fast ones!), Mercedes, Ford (BIG trucks), Volvo Cab-Over road tractor, John Deere, Case I-H, Massey Ferguson, Kubota, Toyota, Subaru, Datsun/Nissan........... and I'm running out of time. Get the picture?

It is all about "feel" and confidence ("that's what she said"). Seriously, in a hour or two you can learn the basics and then proceed to go out and fine tune the rest on your own. It's a wonderful thing to pull off a perfect double clutch downshift using heel and toe/throttle+braking!

You are going to love what you have been missing all of these years.

Best of luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    C'mon now, your're BS'ing us, right? No? OK!!!

Tom
    YES I am kidding. I learned to drive a stick in 1963 on a '57 Plymouth that Earl Sheib painted some wierd color of Turquoise. (my dad got a discount because it was mixed, and no one wanted a car that color.)

I have had quite a few of them myself, since, but none as classy as a '73 Targa. But I still do need to learn how to double clutch and that heel and toe stuff. Never quite understood the double clutch thing.

Just thought that I would yank your collective chains. Thanks for biting.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

hello larry,
    nice work you are doing! wanted to show how it will look once it is all done!
    i know, mine is Conda green (1970) and your's is Viper green, which is correct for your car.
    regards from switzerland
    martin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Conda/Viper Green

Martin:

I have a great difficulty really understanding the difference between Conda Green and Viper Green. I have seen lots of pictures, and what I see depends on the amount of light, the exposure, the color rendition of my monitor, etc.

I have always thought that Viper Green was a bit richer in color, a touch deeper, and that Conda Green was a bit more edgy, maybe a touch more neon.

I guess that I will find out what color my car is (to my eye) when it finally gets delivered. Mike said that he was painting a washer , and was going to drop it into the mail for me. That way I would see what the color "really" is.

To be honest, I thought that the can of paint on this thread looked more like what I thought Conda Green was, and the picture of your car more Viper.

Only time will tell.

BTW, I notice that this is your first post. Thanks for your picture. Beautiful car. Look forward to hearing more from you. Did you do a restoration on it? Or did you get it in the condition I am seeing?

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    YES
    Just thought that I would yank your collective chains. Thanks for biting.
    larry
    I got something you can yank and bite on......

Yes, of course! It's Salt Water Taffy. You guys have filthy minds.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Larry, this thing isn't going to wind up being "too nice to drive" .... is it?! Late September delivery? We might still be able to put together a midwest drive and practice some stick-shifting ......

Curt:

I would love to be part of a midwest drive in the fall. We are planning on taking two weeks coming back with it from Connecticut. Going down into Asheville, North Carolina and eastern Tennessee. Hope to get a taste of the Tail of the Dragon and the other twisty roads in the Smokeys.

But, we can talk some more as the date gets closer. Here's hoping that it gets closer.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,

Wish I'd been wrong on the prediction for the delays. It's just inevitable. I also had delusions of writing a novella on the process. Maybe some day. I kept a pretty detailed photo journal, and have a slew of emails between myself and the shop.

On a brighter note, the green looks excellent. Question - why isn't he pulling the heater fan, wiper motor, etc... in the upper trunk area for painting? Is the green under that stuff in great condition? Hope it looks ok at the edges, and since its under the carpet, its not a big deal, but more one of those many many items that falls into the 'if we are going this far, let's get it all the way' category.

At this point, I'm sure you just want to drive it. I had the same experience of missing summer, then fall, then even spring and the RGruppe Monterey experience. Not the end I was looking for to the project at all. Now I'm hoping to sort my MFI issues and make it to GAF.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)