Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on 73 VGE - Kermit

Yes, How far?

Chris:

Your point is well taken, but since this isn't a "frame off restore," we have had a number of discussions about what he was going to do, and what he wasn't.

This car was initially going to be a bare metal repaint, with rust repair/removal. As Mike proceeded with the car, we started talking about detailing the engine, after looking at the great pix of Paul's (pwd72s) car. I liked that look, and it seemed that everyone really prided themselves in how the engine and compartment looked. Since he was detailing the engine, I asked him about painting the engine compartment. He agreed that it wasn't a lot of work to go that far.

Then we got to the trunk. I asked about repainting that too. He demurred, saying that it was a LOT of work, but that he was going to clean it up. We both discussed that the trunk was under carpet, so it wasn't as critical as the engine compartment. Each of these steps takes time, money and effort, as you well know. As he got into it, with all of the work that he has done, I guess that he decided to finally paint the trunk also. I didn't know that he was going to do it till I saw the pictures.

To say that I am pleased is understatement. Mike is a real perfectionist, and I am sure that the car will show it. I am sure that I will end up being very nervous driving it, too.

I think that I am getting very close to a frame up restore. The only difference is that he hasn't pulled off the suspension and redone that. I know that this is no small additional task, but for me, it didn't matter. In the end, this car is going to be really GREAT. I can't wait to drive it, and send you guys finished shots. I am sure you will get tired of my posting Gratuitous Kermit Pictures!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    I am sure you will get tired of my posting Gratuitous Kermit Pictures!!

larry
    Yea, right!
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

conda green

hi larry,

the conda green was only used on the 2.2 ltr and after they used viper green.

i should only compare once both are having a new respray and with the same light. i have the feeleing conda green is lighter, more yellow but i could only compare to the older viper green resprays. see the 2.4T Targa in elferclassics.ch

i bought the car via e-bay (everbody thought i'm going nuts now!!) out of arizona! condition of car and what i did you can see under:
    http://www.elferclassics.ch/ go to galleries!

dyno test in Switzerland shows: 178 HP at 6410 rpm and 215.5 nm at 4980 rpm out of 2.3 ltr! engine done at motor meister LA! nice job! MFI rebuild in germany!

i spent lot's of time and money to get it as it is! i just bought leather sport seats from a 73 RS in very very good condition $$$$ (the nice old touch) and will have them installed after tomorrow. after that not much left! as good as it get's!

i have lots of responce where ever i go! never though i gone have that much fun on the mountain roads. the motor biker's have to be carefull!!!

see you
    martin

conda green

hi larry,

just wanted to show what i got on the german highway last month!

i did not shake, i was not affraid but driving that fast, hell the car is just flying!

see you
    martin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Martin:

A great series of photos. I looked at nearly every one of them. Your car went through a real transformation, from a tired 70E to a Track Baby with a hot motor. To my eye, they did a nice job on the repaint. I am sure that it turns a bunch of heads.

I enjoyed seeing the Arizona license plate BMW8. Hmmm, I wonder what car that plate was on before your 911 got it??

I could see in the shot of the dash that you were running 6000 RPM, but I'm not familiar with the speedometer setup, so I couldn't tell what the MPH was. You'll have to tell me.

So, were you as big a PITA with your shop as I have been with mine? How long did it take them to redo the car? Was this a respray, or did they take it down to bare metal? I didn't see any shots of the car in a state of disassembly.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

conda green

hi larry,
    the 2nd owner found the car after a long search out in the desert nearly untouched. he did than the full mechanical restoration and engine overhaul at motor meister L.A.. he prepared the car for classic racing but never came to it.
    i have done the following:
    i have redone the whole interior with original stuff which i found in a garage in wiesbaden and over the internet. mainly e-bay. the original blaupunkt stereo cass was redone as well and mp3 and cd cabel was added.
    when i received the car in bremerhafen, the engine was not running nicely and i suspected an MFI problem. this was confirmed and it took as quiet some time to figure out how we are going to get it set up the right way and limiting the costs. when taking the MFI apart, we realized it was put together wrongly and could never run properly. as i did not want to change to carbs (motor meister said: "these MFI are only giving problems, put weber carbs on it and you are safe!) the settings are for E type now and it is running like a dream.
    during the winter time i decided to have it resprayed due to two reasons:
    seller of car told me that it got one respray over the time and it had plenty of road chips in front. i found an italian expert who checked on the engine deck lid if it had been resprayed in it was positive. the car had zero rust and he recommeded not to go to bare metals in this case. much safer as no humidity will get into the porous metal. we have taken off, all glass, front and engine deck lid, front and back parts. at this stage we found out that only the engine deck lid and left real bumper had a respray! all the rest was the original one! ****!!!! anyway done is done but good to know for the next one!!!!!!

we changed all rubber and seals $$$$ with original porsche stuff!

the license plate was cute on an old porsche!in july i had the car registred in AZ ( 711 LVA , not bad either!!!) for being able to drive the car from Bremen to Switzerland. the lic plates got lost during the transport and i drove with handmade once through germany!!!! every policemen stopped us!!!!!

the speedometer is in KM and reads 235 km or 146 miles at 6'200 rpm!, the car goes stright up to 6'200 rpm where i have max HP and than it takes i while to up to 7'000 rpm and plus. sofar i did not touch the rev limiter, so i do not know if it is there or where it is. understand that S type have it at 7'300 rpm??? when i took the picture i followed a brand new MB 500 SL and i tried very hard to get away.. i was behind him and after a few mintues, my ears said go slower....
    i know the speedometer might not be as accuarate, nevertheless i have two, the original one which has been redone in KM from miles and a brand new one only KM, both show about the same and speedo check was done a pritty accurat (it showed less!!! than actual).

timing: i bought the car in june, had some stuff redone in AZ, than over to Long Beach by truck and shipped to bremerhafen in September 03, arrived 5 weeks later. than i left the car in wiesbaden for 5 weeks, than switzerland registration, winter started and i drove everyweekend when there was dry and sunny weather. Jan - Feb three weeks respray and since than small stuff and driving - dreaming.

will go to germany today see my garage in wiesbaden 400 km for inspection and seats. weeekend up to st. moritz 2-3 very nice mountain roads, will go to match racing (americas cup), all teams are there and fight on the small lake for three days. in between lots of fun, wine and dine. i hope to sit on the alinghi table for the dinner!

i have to run now, see you
    martin

Sorry to hijack, but Martin that's a nice car.

Have fun up near St.Moritz......the roads are just brilliant.

But you must make a little detour into Itally to go over the Stelvio....an absolutle do not miss road in the 911.

Its only 39 hairpins on the way up on the Italian side (going towards Switzerland) and head down vis the Umbrai pass, still I hope a gravle road..really rally stuff.

Keep us posted.

montain roads

thks for your advice! i know there are so many nice mountain roads and they are all within a day trip from my home!
    it will be tight on saturday as i have an openair opera "Carmen" on friday evening in Avanches, close to Bern, in the romain amphi theatre and saturday at noon the sailing in St. Moritz is starting.
    this will give me nice ride over the Julier, long stright roads all upwards!!!!!
    and going back I have the choice of:
    1. Julier
    2. Maloja, Splügen, or only Maloja and lake COMO and than St. Gotthardo
    3. Maloja, Splügen, San Bernadino, St. Gotthardo or Nufenen or Lucomagnio and Oberalp, Grimsel, Susten and home (something i have to do alone, my wife would not take it )
    4. Albula
    5. Flüela
    each pass is 20-50 km!!!!

one of my favorites is the Klausenpass from Altdorf to Glarus! once they made races 50-70 years ago! nice small montain roads (no gravel) and lots of bikers!!!
    the best time of the day is very early morning and under the week!

will let you know which way i take home!
    see you
    martin

p.s. will try to make a few pictures! for all of you!

Larry,

Looks like your VG car will be very nice when done. I don't think in the end you will regret having the engine bay and now the trunk done too. It is too bad the fabric making process is not moving along faster, but at this point I'm sure you expected that.

Martin,

My wife and I are flying to Zurich tomorrow and then hooking up with GeorgeK and his fiancee for several days of fun. We will be driving both of this 911s over many passes on Sunday and Monday and then riding bikes up the Gothard Pass on Tuesday. We are very excited. Look for photos from our adventure too. I'll be on the look out for your Conda Green 911.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Larry,

I'm sure the trunk will turn out great. Believe me that i understand what it means to pull a small thread, and it turns into a long one. I just didn't recall the trunk stuff taking that much time, particularly since you already have the fuel system out with the tank. Doesn't matter. IT's gonna be SWEET!

Martin - My vote is #2 including the Lake COMO piece! I did that drive 3 yrs ago, but unfortunately it was in a Hertz Fiat wagon.

Hey George - is FRY special or are you setting up a EarlySRegistry Vacation Package Tour? My guess is htat you might be sold out. Your cars seem as nice as your country roads, which is to say VERY nice. Have fun!

Chris
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)