Thread: 6x15 wheels on a '66 911?

6x15 wheels on a '66 911?

B. Johnson's 911 book notes that the front fender lip was narrowed at the top on '68 cars to allow for the wider 5.5" wheel. Does that mean that I can't use 6" wheels (195/65 tires) on my '66 without rubbing?

The problem is that not all early 911 cars are exactly the same dimentially...so when trying for the widest fit wheels & rubber, it's an individual car thing. Do you know anyone with 6's who'd let you try 'em out?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Yes, and it's worse than that as different tire types can vary in the critical dimension ("actual" section width?) -- even for the exact same size.

So borrow what you want to run, and push on the car body to compress the shocks while turning the wheel....

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I have 195/65VR15 tires on my '65 without much problem. They tended to rub a little on the inside (especially the front strut), but some relatively thin spacers have solved that problem.

Wheels For the SWB`s

I am running deep 6`s and 185x65 tires without any rubbing.

Thanks for the help. Now to find some 6's at a reasonable price.

6" wheels

Harvey Weidman may have some...530-534-7903

No financial interest!!
    Ed Barnett
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association