Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aren't 73 sport seats a little different?

Aren't 73 sport seats a little different?

Aren't there some detail differences between 1973 factory sport seats and the ones from 72 and earlier (back to 69?)? Something like the fold-forward mechanism or...?

Is it easy or possible to convert whatever is different so that the seat would be absolutely correct for a 73 car?

TIA!
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

It's part of the fold forward "base", it's the slider mechanism, and for 73 DOT (assumably) required a double locker slider.

So, there is a hinged "arm" that goes from the slider "lock" to the other side of the seat, and another "lock" is located on that side.

Anything can be made or installed with enough time or money....but I don't think that this modification falls under the "reasonable" classification of either of those conditions.....

Are you going to take your car to a Parade, or a Zone concours?

Even if you are, it's unlikely that the guy judging the interior will have this level of knowledge, and even then, the point loss would be minimal.

Eric

Also, I believe the headrests in the '73 seats are more elongated than the earlier sport seats. Though I've seen some '73 cars which had the earlier style headrests which I believe were original to the car. Unlike the slider mechanism, this is pretty easy to spot.

Reed,

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there were two distinctive styles of head rest for the E/F ('72-'73) program sport seats ... they're both correct ... not sure if either equals what you you call the 'old type' head rest style though.

Hope this helps.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Confirming Chuck's reply...yes both type of headrests are "correct" for 1973, and both are mentioned in the RS limited edition book.

I did forget to mention seatbelts and receivers. Seat belt receivers are the same from 69 to 71, then in 72 they changed to the seat interlock warning system (hard wired) into the seat belt reciever. This was also the same for 1973. The seatbelt "end" also changed to fit the newer type receiver.

Eric

Seat Belt Receivers....

changed. Receivers from '72 WILL NOT fit the belts in a '73, and vice-versa...DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Ok....please clarify....

Sport seat seat belts from a 72 aren't the same as sport seat seat belts from a 73????

I have owned both 72 and 73 sport seats, and seat belt receivers were identical.........

If you are talking about regular seat belts, you're right, they won't cross fit into sport seats....even of the same year...(per my recollection),

Which makes Sport Seat, Seat Belt Receivers, for 72/73 a hot commodity.

Stacy,

Please reply, and clarify what the heck you're talkin about, or your toolkit get's burned in effigy.

Eric

Eric, is this what you mean?

Eric and crew,

Here's a picture of a sport seat from e-bay. The description says it's from a '72 S. Is that right, or is this the version you were describing with the arm and double lock (for 73)? Or am I looking at the wrong thing on the seat?

Here's the e-bay link; there are a lot more pictures...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34206

Which kind of headrests are these, the early ones or the elongated ones?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

Wink Confusion....

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    Ok....please clarify....

If you are talking about regular seat belts, you're right, they won't cross fit into sport seats....even of the same year...(per my recollection),

Please reply, and clarify what the heck you're talkin about, or your toolkit get's burned in effigy.

Eric
    Eric, yes, you are correct. Here WAS my dilemma, now solved:

I removed standard seats from my '72, and replaced with factory sport seats from my '73. The belts in the '72 did NOT fit into recepticles attached to '73 sport seats.

SORRY FOR CONFUSION, AND DELAY IN REPLY!!!!
    Eric, please do NOT burn the tool kit. I beg forgiveness. Perhaps you could (temporarily) revoke my (self appointed deputee-ship) in the Super Secret Seat Police Squad!?!?!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Edwin,

That's not a double locker slider assembly, if it were, you would see an additionaly aluminum arm running across the bracket from one side to the other.

Headrests are early type, but they were on 73 cars as well.....just not typically found.

Note that all 911 headrests fit regular seats and sport seats....so you can swap back and forth.

Stacy,

I'll get back to you....

Eric