Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going racing with dad !

Smile Going racing with dad !

Finally here it is , ( i posted a couple months ago , inquiring about Polo red color ). We had our first event at sommet des légendes in Mont Tremblant
    Canada.
    Its a repro of my dad`s car back in the sixties with which he won Quebec`s
    championship in 1968.
    Francois Duval
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Racing with Dad

Francois,
    That is very cool. I remember your post, and I was happy to read about how you were going to do that. I think that's such a wonderful thing.

My Dad never raced, but he dragged me all over the country to watch racing. He's gone now, but I think about him everry time I sit on the grid at a track he took me to as a child.

Nice work!

Jol

nice to see !

Nice work Francois !
    when will be the next race ?
    i think i have the door pockets of this car on mine !
    Thanks Again
    Beau travail !
    Raynald
    1973 RS Réplique
    http://pages.globetrotter.net/rayfec/

Quote Originally Posted by raynald
    Nice work Francois !
    Raynald
    My dittos!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I just spoke with Bob Bailey 2 days ago; he mentioned he drove with your dad when your dad became the first Canadian to score international points (the 914/6's debut).
    Early S Reg #1809

Very cool to see all the cars with mini-lites in the last picture. I enjoy seeing these vintage time capsules. Very interesting to see the repo of your fathers car. Nice tribute!!!

Hi all,

This is my first post to the board so I'll try to add some value to all of this discussion. Very quickly some history and then current conversation. I grew up in the Burnt Hills, NY area and my school bus use to drive by The German Auto Haus. A business started by Martin Steger, who came over from the factory as an engineer / driver to support the 914/6 program about the same time that all of this was going on. Bob Bailey lived one street over from me and at the time had started Racemark International. Martin did not get along with Peter Gregg and went to drive for some private teams and eventually left the program to set up The German Auto Haus in Burnt Hill, NY....a sleepy little town about 25 miles North of Albany. I was a shop clean up boy back in 81 and caught my Porsche bug while working there. Martin has been a friend ever since. Fyi, Martin now works at The Racers Group and supports their efforts in Club racing as well as driver development. TRG has some factory drivers supporting them for the upcoming 24 hours of Daytona and are currently some of the fastest GT cars during practise....setting up for a hopefully very good Daytona showing this year for Porsche.

I purchased a 67 911 S Vintage racer this week, the car was on the boards earlier this summer. I am finishing the cosmetics on the car and will do some vintage racing locally in Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing's club as well as a few PCA events. Martin called me yesterday to talk about my driving goals and told me that Bob Bailey had bought back, restored and will be driving one of these cars in the PCA club racing seriers in 2011. The thought of such great drivers actually coming back to campaign some of these great cars just sends shivers up my spine. I am so excited that our generation is preserving some of these historical cars and or clones of these cars to keep these memories alive.

We owe a lot of our enthusiasm and appreciation to people like Mr. Duval and Mr. Bailey who had such great success and created the emotional attachement we all have to these cars and what they accomplished. My hats off to you!

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board pkuchay..... This is a great story

Please supply us with some pictures of your race car soon...

BTW- Mr. Steger isn't the only 'old word' racing mechanic that has been employed at TRG.
    Over 10 years ago I visited TRG's Sears Point shop and met Jo Siffert's mechanic Hugo Schibler (see French Kiss with Death - pp. 279, 280) Hugo was working in TRG's engine room............
    Kevin Bucker knows where to find ALL the old secrets.....

Cheers, welcome again, and looking forward to more posts .........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hugo Schibler the mecanic of Jo Siffert, Steve Mc Queen, Rodriguez, Fittipaldi, w.o.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Welcome to the board pkuchay..... This is a great story

Please supply us with some pictures of your race car soon...

BTW- Mr. Steger isn't the only 'old word' racing mechanic that has been employed at TRG.
    Over 10 years ago I visited TRG's Sears Point shop and met Jo Siffert's mechanic Hugo Schibler (see French Kiss with Death - pp. 279, 280) Hugo was working in TRG's engine room............
    Kevin Bucker knows where to find ALL the old secrets.....

Cheers, welcome again, and looking forward to more posts .........
    Hi Chuck, you are a lucky man, you met Hugo a few years ago. Hugo was my very best friend when I lived in Panama during the seventies. We made the Private Pilot License together, Hugo visited me in Austria early 80ies, we met in Munich when he worked a time with BMW. I am searching for my friend Hugo since many years, but I am not that fortunate as you were, I donÂ’t get hold of him. If you have any news, any links I would appreciate hearing from you.

Something I knew from Hugo that the FORUM might not know, is about a Porsche 956 owned by Jean Tinguely that Hugo maintained for years. Tinguely y Siffert were friends for many years (Steve Mc Queen was inspired by them to produce the 24 hours of Le Mans). Tinguely had the 956 in his atelier, in his studios. Hugo visited Jean time by time to assure that the engine of the 956 is doing well.

If you, or anyone else in the FORUM does have any news about Hugo, please let me know.
    Best regards, Johann
    ps. in my younger years I was owner to several Porsches. To admit, not to 911s but to 356, one S60 and two S75. My mechanic in this time was Freddy Kottulinsky (Winfried Graf von Kottulinsky), a renowned Swedish racing driver of Austrian/German origin. ThatÂ’s why I much enjoy the FORUM!

Johann,

I just sent an email off to Kevin Buckler. Hopefully he will answer with some information.

Please realize that my post was 2011, but my experience at Kevin Buckler's shop where I met Hugo was about 2004....

Good luck and welcome to the board,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter