Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: '73S color change- valuation question

Anyone have a picture of a lilac car?

I seem to remember seeing an RS that color somewhere, only in a picture.

I'm with Gruen,

I've always liked Light Ivory ... And I've never been a metallic color guy.
    When I came across my blue car in '89 the color was definitely not a plus at first. However, a year after I did a same color resto and have grown to love my wacky #334 Medium Blue Metallic.

When I'm 'trippin' I'm think'n Oxford Blue, Signal Orange, Light Ivory, and even Slate Gray...

To the question of a 'correct' color change car...
    Yes it does always become part of car's 'story'. However it doesn't necessarily mean a unfortunate part. I've known a number of very successful looking and selling cars with color changes. Nic Roveda's beautiful Silver '73-S started life Tangerine. Registry board member Fred Stewart's beautiful Signal Orange '67-S started life Polo Red, and he's now do'n a Sepia Brown to Viper Green.

All these car were done and being done 'right'... and to most, the 'story' that goes with them has a happy ending... both in personal aesthetic AND resale value.

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Here's Lilac - courtesy of Pelican parts

Lilac is a funny color, looks darker on overcast days, sometimes bluish and definitely purple on bright sunny days.

Just be sure you don't live in a town where the local university's colors include purple, or they will think you repainted the car because you are a crazed alumni.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lilac is nice

That's nice looking. While we are airing out our wish list of colors, can anyone post a picture of seafoam green. I recall someone posting a pic of a 911T sportomatic which was painted seafoam green a few months back.

Is this the one ?

Beautiful colour!

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

It is so beautiful it hurts...

Andy,
    Thats the one. Wow, that is nice with horngrille and Cibie foglights. Who does it belong to and is he interested in selling it? How tough would it be to swap out the sporto for a 901 5-speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller
    he's now do'n a Sepia Brown to Viper Green.
    Chuck:

I have to say that Sepia Brown is one of the only colors that I think detracts from the value of a car. I have seen cars in Sepia Brown that have sold for several thousands less than a similar car of different color. But I'm no expert.

When I was looking at painting my 73E, I was looking at one of the many oranges/yellows. The car was originally Viper Green, painted Red by the PO. OK, VG is a desirable color, but there are those on this board who told me that "the value of a high grade, numbers matching car will be decreased by the cost of a repaint, about $5 - $7K, if the color is non-original."

So, when I found that my car was numbers matching, I stuck with the original color. I find the Ivory cars really good looking. That isn't to say that you might not enjoy having a car in a different color. But to me, I have come to agree with the opinions that I had gotten. A good quality car, numbers matching, especially an S, may be worth less to a collector if in a non-original color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jol Dantzig
    Unless of course you go to tangerine which is hideous, and every tangerine car should be immediately sold as salvage to me.
    tooootaly agree with Jol, only send them to me!!

There are a LOT of people on this board that wounld't give a cup of warm spit for originality, and I applaud what they have done with their cars. But if you want to take your car original, why not stay with the Ivory?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

My current Irish green car is my 4th (and probably final) P-car...one of the others was also Irish Green, the other two were light Ivory. My honest color preference? The white machines...much easier to keep looking good, and cooler on hot sunny days. Not that I'm about to kick my current car out of the garage, mind you...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

That seafoam green is gorgeous.

Is that different from leaf green?

I believe that this is ivory, not light ivory:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Update

Much ado about nothing sums it up.

I went to the shop yesterday to work on my car and check out the Ivory and Light Ivory samples that we had made. The ivory sample that he had mixed turned out to look just fine and like what was on the car previously. It seems as if the ivory paint samples in his Glasurit book had changed to a tan. I guess we both prematurely panicked at the color choice.

Thanks for all the help and have a good weekend.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa