Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '73S color change- valuation question

have to say that Sepia Brown is one of the only colors that I think detracts from the value of a car. I have seen cars in Sepia Brown that have sold for several thousands less than a similar car of different color
    Personally, I would love a nice original Sepia Brown T or S for several 000 off.

Dig that 70's look...

OK guys, here's a hypothetical:

NOT saying what your favorite and lest favorite color is...

If confronted with an 'outstanding' example of an early S, or any early 911 for that mater... and I think you-all know what I mean by OUTSTANDING...

And it was repainted impeccably from one of your lest favorite to one of your most favorite period/date specific Porsche colors ..............

Would you be disappointed?
    Would you be concerned?
    Would you be willing to pay a slightly higher price for the more desirable color?

Would you try to grind the crap out of the seller for the non-cardex color even though it's so cool it's giving you a heart attack...

I'm having a little fun here ...

But consider this... we on this message board and in this club, and those we know, comprise a sizeable part of the 'higher-end' early 911 knowledge and customer base...

We might have our collective hands closer to the 'tiller' then you think....

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Smile Seafoam Green?-What is the Porsche color code?

Will some one please tell me the color of that beautiful light green targa with the hood lights? Is it leaf green? or what? The only greens I know are: Irish green, Metallic green, Emerald or Viper green, Lime (Chartreuse) green, Jade green,Signal green and Turquoise green. Thanks Early S Member and R- gruppe #144

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller
    Would you try to grind the crap out of the seller for the non-cardex color even though it's so cool it's giving you a heart attack...

That's my vote. My enjoyment of the execution of the car always overshadows whatever color it is as long as it's a period correct Porsche color! Of course I would then happily use the incorrect color as leverage.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I would also try to use the incorrect color as leverage during a purchase negotiation.... However if the seller really took the time to pick a cool, desireable, period correct Porsche color he'll probably be too savvy to budge from his price too much.

As you say, he is probably one of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Jol Dantzig
    If you are doing a resto to original don't deviate... that's my feeling.

If you're gonna hot rod, go any way you want.

Unless of course you go to tangerine which is hideous, and every tangerine car should be immediately sold as salvage to me.

Jol
    Hey! I get the tangerine salvage cars! Especially the really really nice ones.
    '71 911S Targa

have thoroughly enjoyed this one ... being an (original) Tangerine owner ... and on a sunny day this car looks like a million dollars !!
    Clashes with the red MG in my garage though !

Have to agree with the Sepia Brown comments ... looked at an immaculate one-owner one long and hard a couple of months ago, but knew I couldn't 'love' it in the end ..
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

If your doin HIGH $$$$$ orginal resto stick with the ORGINAL colour. If I was buyin a correct car with a changed out colour that was better than the orginal, I'd leave it, and when it came time to repaint put it back to owingal.

The colour thats grown on me since I started on this board years ago is Eggplant aka Purple...but don't try an convince me to like those hideous Cookie Cutter wheels...those just plain a$$ su{k

I think the 911 looks especially good in the Ivory, nice neutral colur that hides the dirt and is unobtrusive to the prying eyes of the Bears as U run on down the road....

Like I said before Porsche musta found some left over WW2 paint in a shed out back and being the cheap huns that they are decided to use it up...and called it Sepia Brown....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Raspy2

I am pretty sure that the color you are refering to is sea green. The color code is 62164. I have never seen it before but remember hearing that the color of this car was sea green. Sea green was a special order color back in 1966-68. l don't see the color listed after these model years in the Peter Morgan book. Anyone able to reconfirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by cabrachian
    ..... snip .....
    BUT, will an ivory car always be less desirable than a tangerine, or signal yellow car?
    Man, you sure know how to cut to the quick! My poor 911T was repainted by one of the POs to Guards Red but they neglected to repaint the wheel wells, engine compartment, trunk, interior and underbody from it's original Signal Yellow.

sigh......
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300