Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Secret Steering Wheel Police?

Jens, I made a goof...corrected above. The ad is actually in the MARCH 1970 pano, page 21. Different than the pic you posted in that there are 3 "lightening holes" in each spoke, not two. The ad copy: "Mark Donohue Leather Steering Wheel This is probably the finest steering wheel available anywhere at any price. Made in Italy by Italian craftsmen to the exacting specifications of Mark Donohue. As used by the factory Porsche racing team, and original equipment on Maserati, Lamborghini, etc. 14" diameter, thickly padded and sealed leather rim (no visable seam) As the final touch, Mark's signature beautifully embossed on the spoke of the wheel. Available for 1960 and later Porsche's, including 900 series. $49.95 prepaid." Damn...wish I could send a check. Wonder what one would bring on ebay 2004?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Very Cool Indeed

Paul,
    That would be a great piece, but if I had a time machine I wouldn't fool around with steering wheels unless it was already on that 908 or 917 that nobody wanted anymore.

Seriously, the IROC wheel I had was different from that Donohue in Jens photo. It didn't have any holes and it had two square horn buttons on the spokes right next to where your thumbs would be. I like the earlier one in the photo better visually.

Jens, where did that photo come from?

Jol

Jol, these are my photos of my wheels.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

wheels

In the late 70's I worked for a company(Time Machines) that sold aftermarket pieces such as Hella, Cibie, and Marchal lites; Recaro/Scheel seats etc.....Momo had a signature sw line and the JS was just one of the models offered and yes , as mentioned, the wheel w/ the Fitti helmet was a different line from Personal/Nardi. I had a Ronnie Peterson wheel on my 73 2002 that had all the goodies as I went nuts w/ buying parts because I could get them wholesale and I was like 20 yo........each sig model just had different spoke configuration/color and varying rim thickness......

Try'n out my new digital camera...

This is the wheel I have in the car now...

It's a black leather wrapped 355mm/14" Nardi I picked up at the 'German Auto Fest' swap a couple of years ago for $15.00 ... The leather wasn't too bad and I restored it easily - the spokes were black and the finish a little tired, so I bead blasted them. Also I streched black leather over the horn button to give it a simple look.

It's period, delicate, and with finger grips, feels just right...
    ... And brings a little brightness to a very dark interior... I love it, and I think it's in to stay...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Resently I was given a RaceMark in VERY good shape...
    I bought my car with the same type wheel in it in '89 ... it was pretty crispy so I changed it out for a new Personl/Fittipaldi 14" anatomic wheel that needed some get'n used to... never thought it was right for the car.
    So now with the Nardi in the car, the Personal and RaceMark is on disply in the garage...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Coming in a little late hear, but...

Chuck, that exact Racemark was in my '73 when I bought it, but like your's, the leather was in pretty bad shape. Heavily cracked at the top and the seam was blown out on the bottom left third. So I switched it to a Momo Mote Carlo.

Problem is, when I switched the hub the part that goes over the splines actually snapped. It's an embarrasing story of how it happened that I won't get into here. But my question is, since the bolt pattern is different than a Momo hub, are these older style hubs still available? I always liked the nicer metal finish of my broken hub compared to the plastic/rubber covered Momo hub anyway. Also, does anyone have a good source for restoring the leather and is it worth it?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Tom,

The resto stuff that's beyond my skill gets very expensive... so I'm not sure about the relative value - vs - worth

As far as the hub goes... I think the universal Italian hubs are still available...
    I'll ask this weekend at the GAF.

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck, if it turns out to be something reasonable it would be good to have the period correct setup.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

here's another Mark Donohue steeringwheel. Came out of a 1972 2.4T I owned a couple of years ago.

It is +/- 340mm, the hub fits also for the Raid steeringwheel I have, so I assume this one is made by raid as well.

Anybody who knows more about these steeringwheels ?
    Looks like there is more then one type of steeringwheel with Donohue signature.