Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of 72S with non matching #

Value of 72S with non matching #

I have a 72S targa that I have been trying to restore to the best of my ability. The problem is it has a 73S motor. I Know that because of this it will never fetch top dollar but just wondering how much. I don't want to get to carried away with originality if it's really not worth it. The car currently has webers but I have the MFI parts to put back on. It also has a electromotive ignition but I also have the original distributor.

I'm wondering if value wise it would make more sense to put the MFI back on and the distributor and make it more like it was originally.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    72S targa (sold)
    73t coupe
    71t coupe (project car)
    Gruppe B #057

The car runs and drives great now. Ive had the sport seats redone and new carpet. Ive also gone through about 6 sets of door pockets trying to get two decent pair.

Ive even robbed parts off my 73t to put on the S.

I would hope that sense the engine is a 2.4S motor that at least would help the value some.

So if I get the MFI back on and everything else is reasonably good could a non matching # engine car thats a very good driver be worth say 20K?
    72S targa (sold)
    73t coupe
    71t coupe (project car)
    Gruppe B #057

You're planning to sell? I'd say the numbers thing, since the motor is '73S would be less important than going back to MFI...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Not planning on selling at this time but I have a tendency to keep things about 6-7 years. I don't mind spending some money on the car if the value is there. I do plan on putting the MFI back on the car. I'm just waiting for winter so I wont be missing out on driving time. I'm really just curious.

I also have a 73t coupe that's being torn into at this time. Not worried about originality on that one.
    72S targa (sold)
    73t coupe
    71t coupe (project car)
    Gruppe B #057

If the car was a very good driver, how would the value compare. Not show quality but proud to drive. If say a matching number car was worth say 25K would this be worth 20K. Is this out of line?

I just don't want to spend a bunch getting the MFI back on and find out the value isn't there. I could alway's just sell the MFI and drive it like it is.
    72S targa (sold)
    73t coupe
    71t coupe (project car)
    Gruppe B #057

I'd suggest keeping the MFI, even if you don't go through the expense of putting it back on. Just experience speaking here...things in the past that I sold or gave away that I wished I had back. Not all of them P-car related, but some...Since it's a '73S engine? I don't think it would reduce your eventual value all that much...CONDITION being the more important factor...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Value

Not only are we both in St. Louis but we have black S Targa's with the MFI removed! We need to meet & compare cars & notes.

Joe Delleville

Joe, You have a PM.
    72S targa (sold)
    73t coupe
    71t coupe (project car)
    Gruppe B #057

Add me to the list of early S targa with carbs.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Here is some numbers from the engine.

911/53
    901 101 101 7R
    901 105 111 OR

Pump # is 0408 126 021

I was told that this is a 73S motor.
    72S targa (sold)
    73t coupe
    71t coupe (project car)
    Gruppe B #057