Thread: 73VGE - Kermit - Getting a new coat

73VGE - Kermit - Getting a new coat

Got great news today. Called the mill to find out what the schedule was on the yarn that was at the dye house. While I was on the phone with them, they said, "hey wait, the UPS truck just showed up." They left to check and came back with the great news. "The yarn just arrived from the dye house, we will get it set up on the loom and send you a Head Sample next week."

The loom is already set up to weave the pattern, and I have already checked a sample they wove with a different type of wool yarn. With this Merino 2 ply yarn, we should be right on the nose. They will load the yarn in the loom, and then start weaving. They'll stop at 1 yard, and send it to me FedEx for inspection and approval. I will match it against the sample of the original that I have, and will give them the go-ahead if it matches. I expect that it will.

Then it is a week to weave the 100 yards of fabric I have on order, two weeks at the finisher to get the proper nap and hand (the feel) to the fabric, and then on to me. I'll send one yard to Autos Intl to finish my seats. They'll take a week to finish the upholstery, and another week to ship them to CT so Mike can install them in the car. I should be drivin by the end of September. It sounds more realistic now.

Oh, by the way, got some new pictures of Kermit. Mike said that he spent a few extra days getting the gaps right on the fenders, finishing up the work on the trunk, and the final block sanding. Then he masked the car, and he is ready to spray VIPER GREEN.

He is going to spray on 4 coats of DuPont ChromaOne. This paint has a chemical hardener in it, so it doesn't need to evaporate to harden the way most typical paints do. It also means that he will spray on 4 coats one after the other, about 1/2 hour apart. This way, the paint has settled, but not fully cured. Then the 4 layers of paint adhere to each other chemically, so that they become one damn hard solid coat on the car.

But here's the car all ready for paint. I don't know who that stranger is in the background. Another early Targa getting ready. Hey, wait your turn!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Another one

Here's another shot. Really all buttoned up for that very green paint.

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

The last one for today

And here's a shot of the rear, all ready to go. Mike's going to paint the inside of the engine compartment while he is at it. This car is going to look Smashing. I'll have to take it on a national tour when I am done (OK, when Mike's done.)

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC