Thread: Interior restoration Q's for a 73 911 E

dyp

Interior restoration Q's for a 73 911 E

I am the new owner of a beautiful chartreuse 73 911 E with a recently rebuilt engine/tranny and a bare metal paint job approx 5 years ago. The interior is the only area that needs real attention. The prev owner had removed all the carpet and rear seats because of poor condition and to lighten it up for the autox. Original interior color was brown, but I would like to convert it to black. My question is will this hurt the value/originalty of the car? The 911 E probably isn't as rare as an S, but it does have the full S options and the engine was rebuilt using JE pistons, and higher performance components to give it S power (dyno 161 hp at the wheels). The sport seats need recovering, and it will need new carpet and door panels. Also, I like the RS door panels for their simplicity-would it be unwise to use the RS door panels for the restoration? I already ordered an original dash to replace my cracked dash. Any advice would be appreciated, as I have only owned the car for three weeks and would like to make the wisest decisions before I spend the money and effort to restore the car's interior. Thanks

David Proctor
    73 911 E
    Nashville, TN

pwd72s
    First, remember it's your car, so make it the way you want it. But I'd suggest you do only modifications that could be returned to stock relatively easily, should the next owner so wish. I'd say a color change fits into the "relatively easily" category. Welcome to the world of early 911 ownership. Are you a member of Porsche Club of America? That's a good starting point for lots of information regarding your '73E. Good luck, and have fun.

dyp
    Thanks-I'm still on the fence as to whether to go brown or black. I think I have talked myself out of the RS Panels-I love them but I just don't think they'd look right if I restored the rest of the interior to original. I plan to join the local PCA soon, and look forward to meeting other early 911 owners. Thanks a lot for the help.

pwd72s
    No problem, though I doubt I was a ton of help. RS panels? Yeah, they look cool. But you know, I think I like the comfort of the arm rest, also the grab handle for the passenger. Color? Lucked out with my car. Irish green with light tan leather. Folks say it's pretty. But I suffer from partial color blindness. Do join PCA..every PANO issue gives info. And if you're blessed with an active local region, folks to talk to. Also, EXCELLENCE a good magazine to subscribe to.

I'm sorta curious about those RS door panels. Does that strap you generally see attached to them only get used to pull the door shut? Does this mean you must roll down the window to open the door? I never was clear on this and really want to do this myself on my car.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Paul -- For RS door panels, once the door is closed, you pull on that long strap to open the door.

David -- Welcome to the wonderful world of 911E ownership. Your resale value won't be affected negatively by changing your interior from brown to black IF the interior work is excellent.

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but a stock 73 911E makes 165 HP. An S -- 190 HP. At 161? I'd be considering an engine exam and a chat with the seller about the shop that installed those "high performance components."

By the way, who did your pre-purchase inspection?
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Sandy,

David said 161hp at the wheels... giving him about 15% for the conversion, that means roughly about 185hp at the flywheel where standard hp ratings are taken...

Sounds like David has a very healthy E-motor indeed...

Welcome aboard David...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Sorry to be an uneducated alarmist on the HP issue.
    I didn't know about the 15% conversion.
    I learn something new on this board all the time.
    Looks like you've made a great purchase.
    Congrats.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Let's not all go off thinking we lose 15% between the flywheel and the wheels. I have always used 10% as a ballpark - we aren't driving Chevy's right? Sorry to knitpick either way, 161 at the wheels is good.

Always like to err on the conservative side ....... but only in horsepower
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter