Thread: Rock Auto as a parts source for Early 911s

Rock Auto as a parts source for Early 911s

Randomly decided to look at the collection of parts available for my ‘72 912 from Rock Auto…

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/....3l+h6,1433479

They have a surprisingly large number (to me) of parts available. Many appear to be made by an aftermarket manufacturer called URO…

https://apaindustries.com/

I can’t say that I’ve seen anyone discuss this company as an option for our early cars. Many of the prices I randomly scanned seemed very reasonable.

Noting that these appear to be aftermarket parts, thoughts?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I used them at least once a couple of years ago. I was satisfied. But, yes they are aftermarket parts. URO is a Chinese manufacturer with mixed reviews on Pelican and 914World.com forums
    A 72 912 would be a very rare car?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I occasionally use Parts Geek to purchase Dansk parts like the 100L gas tank.
    72S, 72T now ST

I bought a somewhat expensive "factory" muffler from them for my 912. It came in very poor quality. Built by Dansk - which was the correct supplier for Porsche then. So not the wrong part. But they did take it back with no problems when I complained about the quality.

I have purchased many URO parts four or five years ago. At that time, I'd only use them when they were the only available source of an otherewise NLA part. At that time, I'd say the quality was so-so, but acceptable given there was no other source. I've heard more recently that their quality has improved considerably, though I don't have firsthand experience.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Used Rock Auto parts 1 time, the part wasn't even close. I would stick the the regular suppliers.
    Craig Williams
    Eugene,OR

Member #1070

1972 911E Targa Puck

I use them almost weekly at this point. I am looking to save as much as I can on parts because everything on my car needs to be replaced. I could pay $16 for a transmission shifter seal on pelican but rock has it for $3. I am just trying to get my car on the road. I'm not doing a concours restoration so it serves me well. I have been ordering parts from rock for 3 different cars (Ford, Toyota, and Porsche) and having one place to get most things greatly cuts down on shipping fees.

Also, even if the part doesn't show in the expandable categories under your specified year/make/model, sometimes searching the Porsche part number will find what you are looking for in their system. FYI in case you don't see what you are looking for.

If I was doing full restoration, would I buy parts through them? No. If my car was original, would I buy parts from them? No. If I wanted only OEM parts, would I buy from them? No.

But for where I am right now with my car, rock is a great place to buy parts.
    1968 911 S
    Searching for transmission # 2281852
    EarlyS #4172