Thread: Lost a lower shock absorber bolt

Lost a lower shock absorber bolt

Hi
    After hitting a bumpy patch on a main road, I realised that i'd lost the lower shock absorber bolt on one side, so shock absorber was totally un-connected and hanging down.
    Car is ok, and at garage now, but i wondered:
    - does this happen often ?
    - is this a regular check item you should do yourself ?
    Would appreciate any thoughts !

At least i now know what that slight rattle i'd detected was ... !!
    (ps for Australian members, it was the Parramatta Road in Sydney ... no wonder !)
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

It's never happened to me, but you just gave me something else to check during my next oil change...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

We don't have roads like that in Melbourne. Ha Ha Ha.

If it was the original bolt it is NLA and I can't find the correct length anywhere 14mm x 95mm Have to go for a little longer I think

As your cars had had extensive prior work I would be checking everything now!!!! especially front steering bolts be great if you lost steering halfway across the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Clyde

Yes, thanks for your obvious concern Clyde (!!!)
    Luckily, Grant at Autohaus Hamilton was a legend and took it in and fixed it. It was just the bolt.
    And exactly as you say, he's had a look underneath, fixed some other loose bolts ... and suggested we sit down and consider a longer term plan to get things fixed ... !!! You know what i mean !!
    Anyway - this was on the cards so no stresses - but you're right, am driving alternative routes relatively slowly til he can fit me in for some more serious work !!

Best regards (must fill that membership form in ..)
    Cheers, Paul
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)