Thread: Help/info on a large capacity fuel tank

Help/info on a large capacity fuel tank

Last edited by GeorgeK; 11-26-2014 at 12:02 AM.

100 liter fuel tank

George,
    Your tank is the 100 liter size. And was offered as an accessory. The page below is from a factory catalog dated Oct. 1967. The sender date shows when it was made. Both the sender and the gauge are different from the 62 liter tank, your sender (transmitter) is longer for the higher 100 ltr. tank. It's used in anything from street cars to rally/racing cars, The 911R used this tank with a large dia. center fill neck. The trunk mat is also different for the big tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Hello George,

Sorry I did not get back to you yet. That is the exact tank as in my Rallye. I will take the pictures that you requested. In 70 or 71 Porsche went to the black plaastic tanks. The one you have is 67 to the plastic version. Great find.

Best,

Don

George,

Yes, you are right about the filler neck....I have one in my 67S, and I'll check when I get back from my business trip to see which one mine resembles.....

Eric

I wouldn't have one of those raggedy a$$ things in my car.

Speaking of big tanks; anyone ever see a 36 gallon tank that the Corvette used in the early days of the Sting Ray? Scary as hell. I mean, 36 gallons of gasoline sitting right behind you in the storage area under the rear window! "Balls 'O Brass!" KA-BOOM!
    They are very rare and highly desireable. Known as "tanker" cars I've never seen one in person but have lots of documents and books that mention as well as illustrate them with pictures.

George, that's a nice find; Chalk another one up for the good guys!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi George

I have used cellulose thinners to clean the brown stain off carb bodies, it may work in this application too.

I have used POR15 products to clean and seal my tank. They are available in the UK at http://www.frost.co.uk/
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

George,

I did not notice the difference originally. I had two of these tanks that were the same. The original long sender is dated in 67. I would say there is a swb and lwb version?? But then the plastic big tanks came in 1970 or there about....

Best,

Don

All the your info is consistent with the '68 factory Sport Purpose Manual..

100 Liter tank - 901.201.010.30
    Sender - 901.741.801.01

Plus this:

Gauge for 100 liter tank - 901.741.502.01 (I believe hung under dash)
    Trunk Mat for 100 liter tank - 901.551.045.23
    Gas Cap for 100 liter tank - 901.201.275.30
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter