Thread: Just because

Just because

It's fun to look at anything Porsche related, even though this is a fake... er, replica. We saw one displayed at Rennsport, and it was pretty cool.

A lot of $$$$ for an "almost" experience but I wouldn't turn down a chance to toss it around a track myself if the opportunity were offered to me.

At a recent PCA event at Lime Rock a guy had one and it was hard not to pay attention when it was on the track. Even after seeing the real deal at Rennsport just seeing that shape out there...

917 Replica

I always have mixed feelings about these replicas. I saw this one at RRII and the very nice 904 replica ($80,000, I think). I've thought hard about a 550 Beck as well. But in the end, they're replicas. So for $255,000 one could have this awesome 917 replica or probably an authentic ST or RSR ...... tough choice, I wonder if the 917 is streetable .....

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    So for $255,000 one could have this awesome 917 replica or probably an authentic ST or RSR ...... tough choice.....
    Curt & Jol,

For me, if I had the $225K, it wouldn't be that tough a choice. I would opt for a "real thing." Gimme the RSR anyday I can't see spending that kind of money on a replica anything.

Saw a guy at the gas pump the other day with a pretty gal and a jet black AC Cobra. I asked him if it was real (he obviously could tell that I knew the girl was . . . ) and he said "Do you want it to be?" No, I just wanted to know. It was a replicar. Well done, but . . . .

As a fun car, those replicas are fun, and do turn heads, but to spend $225K on one? Hmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . no.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry, are you SURE the girl was real? I mean, I've seen Carol Doda's stage act. I've seen cars that remind me of her.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    So for $255,000 one could have this awesome 917 replica
    That is stupid money for that kit car. You could buy the rolling chassis from OZ for $38K a few years ago when I enquired about them (I think they're up to just south of $55K now). Add $5K for shipping and $40K to drop a 3.8 RSR motor in it, and you've got a $100K car, max. You can go a lot faster for a lot cheaper than that, and it has no provenance, so what's the point?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

But the difference is . . . .

I was just admiring the girl. Looked good. She smiled, I smiled back. I wasn't planning on taking her for a ride. Therein lies the difference.

Honestly the same was true with the car. I was admiring it, looked good, I smiled . . . . . .

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Does it qualify for any vintage (or other) racing series?

Even if it is street-legal, it wouldn't be very sensible or enjoyable.

Just get a 956/962, put it in HSR and call it a day. If you've got 300K for a toy, you've also got the annual budget to run a real race car.
    "The 908 Kind"

93 VW Corrado - VR6
    (my Porsche in training)

I have a blog!!

rennlist gallery

I think Dave White Racing in Tampa got about $150,000 for this car a couple of years ago...
    I saw it in '99 ... it had a 3 liter RSR motor in it...
    Very cool........ and the REAL DEAL....

Dave's ad read:

1973 KMW Porsche-SP30 VIN# 008 1450lbs. 5 speed Hewland transmission with cooler and pump. This car was built for the interseries that ran in Europe during the early seventies and eighties-much like the Can-Am series here in the states. Rare and very quick. Will build engine to your specifications
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

... and a pic out of the '74 FIA Year Book
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Skunk Works Cars

When I began looking for a vintage sports racer I saw that car for sale and looked into it. There are some forgeries out there and I couldn't really verify long-distance. It was sold before I got any information.

A so-called skunk works car is one of the few ways to get into that class of racing in a Porsche without breaking the bank (or breaking into one) but it seems like there are more of those around than are documented.
    Sort of like what John Starkey says about the Lola T-70s:

"Lola built sixteen Mark IIIB coupes and there are only thirty-eight left"

NOTE: I am not saying that this car is a forgery

Jol