Thread: NGK Sparkplugs

NGK Sparkplugs

In earlier messages several Registry members have commented on the NGK spark plugs for the early 911s. In the messages I have seen comments on both the NGK BP8ES and NGK B8ES plugs. What is the difference? Does anyone have experience with either, or both plugs, in a stock1972S? I am looking for a plug that is suitable for general road use rather than just track use.

The NGK website lists the BP8ES as the appropriate plug for the 1972 911S. According to a customer service rep, the "P" stands for something like "projected" (not platinum).

I have a 1972S and have purchased a set of the BP8ES plugs. Before I install them, I would like hear some comments from those with experience with these plugs in any early 911S.

Thanks for your comments.

Guy Crosby

On my mechanic's suggestion I switched to Bosch W4CS. Street driving, with the now and then "frisky" times. They seem to work very well in my '72S, so I'll stick with 'em. That said, Ed Mayo seems to like the NGK B8ES, so I'm sure you won't hurt your car with those either. Oh, "my" mechanic is Gordon Ledbetter...very highly regarded here in the NW.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

NGK Sparkplugs

To PWD72S:

Thanks for your reply. I currently have Bosch W3CS in my 72S. They were selected by my mechanic, Jerry Pelligrino (EPE). Although they are great on the track, they tend to "carbon-up" with normal driving. I am looking for something that might avoid this situation. Is the W4CS a hotter or colder plug than the W3CS?

The reason for my original question regarding the NGK plug is because the BP8ES plug is a "projected tip" plug ("P" for projected tip) versus the B8ES plug. The distance from the bottom of the thread to the tip of the plug is 22 mm for the Bosch W3CS versus 25 mm for the BP8ES. I want to make sure the BP8ES will fit in the cylinder and clear the piston. Even though NGK recommends the BP8ES for the 72S, I thought I should check with registry members for their experience before installing.

Guy

Now I gotcha...If I'm not mistaken the W4 bosch is one stage hotter than the W3... Sorry, no info on any clearance issues with the extended tip NGK...maybe install one in a single cyclinder, turn the engine by hand, see if you feel any interference????
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Spark plugs

Guy -

I have an assortment of 15 different plug sets all in different heat ranges for early 911. Drop me an email and we can discuss, as I have tried them all. You can try out whatever heat ranges you want.

Jim
    jim@internationalcarparts.com
    Needham MA