Thread: Campy wheels ? 9 x 15

Campy wheels ? 9 x 15

For the wheels experts, enthusiasts:
    I have just acquired this pair of 9 x 15, "5 on 130mm" wheels for my 911.
    I own 2 other sets of Campagnolo wheels for my 2002 series BMW's, they have significantly different features, style, finish and markings.
    The only thing in common is the simple adhesive Campagnolo decal.
    The only ID mark I can can find on these wheels is a "G" on the reverse of one spoke.
    These have never been mounted and have a 64mm diameter bore for (if?) hub centric mount. The rims have steel insert concave cones for standard Porsche wheel nuts.
    Does anyone have any ideas? any period photos?

Depending on their age, I would think they were an alternate choice to the 9 x 15 Minilites, in the pre-Fuchs 9 x 15 period?

Hopefully I will have them mounted up for the Autofest.

Regards

Hayden
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Technical Director
    Windrush Evolutions Inc.

Hayden, those are cool wheels! What period are they from. I can envision them on a late 70s black 930.....John Player Special look
    Magnesium? Oh and by the way, we prefer to be called "wheel geeks"
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I'm not sure, I would say mid seventies, but the 64mm ID on the center makes me believe they are early 70's, pre the hub centric lugs that were added to the rear drive flanges in the mid 70's.
    They could of course have been intended for fronts with some wheel spacers made to suit.
    Last Campy literature I saw (Al Constantino in SoCal) he listed 9 x 15 and 11 x 15 for Porsche, but I dont recall the pattern or style.

Yes, they are Mag, 14.5 lbs light!

Regards

Hayden
    Technical Director
    Windrush Evolutions Inc.

Aren't these Campys?

Yes I am sure they are, but are these?
    The 131 Abarth cars were often displayed with Cromodora decals over the wheel arches in race trim, again with a similar looking wheel, even if wider.
    I have also heard that Technomagnesio now has all the old Campagnolo wheels patterns / molds.

I am assuming this is a 131 Abarth homologation spec road car. Circa 1975?
    Technical Director
    Windrush Evolutions Inc.

Hayden,

I don't have too many details for you on these particular wheels, although I have dabbled in Campy wheels in the restoration of a DeTomaso Mangusta many years back. They are without question beautifully crafted components.

I did however, find this shot of a Carrera from the San Remo rally that I think you'll like.

Cheers, Chris

Chris,

Thanks for that, now we are getting somewhere.
    I can not ID that car for year or model, any thoughts?

Looks like I have a pair of the fronts from that set up, making me speculate that the Campy's that were on the shelf at FAZA (Al Constantino) were probably similar in 9 x 15 and 11 x 15 sizes.

Using my micrometer eye's it also looks like the hubs are at the smaller 64mm diameter, not the 70.6 needed for the hub-centric wheel mount feature.....

I too am a Campagnolo fan, always on the look out.
    The wheels I have for my BMW's are really very nicely finished, hand detailed before heavy, heavy silver paint. These gold ones look like pure competition wheels, daggy castings, light flash of gold paint.

Thanks for the pic.

Regards

Hayedn
    Technical Director
    Windrush Evolutions Inc.

Hayden,

Unfortunately I don't have any details for you with respect to this particular car or event. I just thought it was a cool picture.

I think you are spot on with your assessment of your wheels as competition parts. Campagnolo knows how to sweat the details when they want to

I will keep an eye out for you in my travels. I would one day like to acquire a set of Campy wheels for my car.

Cheers, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Burvill View Post
    For the wheels experts, enthusiasts:
    I have just acquired this pair of 9 x 15, "5 on 130mm" wheels for my 911....

Hopefully I will have them mounted up for the Autofest.

Regards

Hayden
    Hello Hayden, I was wondering if you mounted your Campys and if so, do you mind sharing some photos? My 9x15 and 11x15 Campy mag wheels are nearly done, Weidman should be painting them soon. I will post restored photos when these factory wheels arrive. Thank you.

Name:  2016-09-10_16-38-25.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  89.8 KB

The 11's are very wide...

Name:  2016-09-10_16-39-34.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  82.4 KB

...and I'm not yet sure if those will fit the rear extended steel flares of my 914-6 GT

Name:  2016-09-10_16-49-24.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  2016-09-10_16-50-20.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  60.5 KB

If I'm not mistaken, these are 7x15 and 8x15, not 8s and 9s.

Name:  2016-09-10_16-43-25.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  2016-09-10_16-42-05.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  108.2 KB

I feel the Campy wheels enhance the look of the car. Really love the wheels.

Name:  2016-09-10_16-42-35.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  80.8 KB