Thread: Mothballing a 911...

Mothballing a 911...

I say you can leave the oil, but it has to be new. Pull the plugs and coat the clys with oil. You can do this by inserting an air nozzle thru the hole and blowing the oil around. I have a brake line on one air nozzle about 2 feet long that reaches into places such as this. You can turn the motor over half a turn and do it again for complete coverage.

Screw the plugs back in but not tight. Drain the gas from the carbs and run the fuel pump dry.

It'll be ready to fire when you are.

Edit: I'm not sure how my reply got on top on the question

I would also put some covers over any openings on the engine to keep the critters out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke

Edit: I'm not sure how my reply got on top on the question
    Milt,

I think it is cool that you answered the question before it was asked!
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

If up on jack stands for a long period of time I'd think of removing the wheels to take the weight off the suspension. Hey Milt, who's thread is this anyway This has to be the ultimate hijack!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

You know if we keep this up nobody is going to understand what the heck we're talkin about.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Mothballing a 911...

All,
    Looking for some guidance/input regarding correct storage preparation for the Homemade 911.

Haven't decided yet...but it's possible I will be putting up the race car in favor of some of life's other priorities (along with a possible matching numbers, factory 914-6 project on the horizon... ) I don't see any real advantage/value in selling it outright, so I thought I'd solicit your input on proper storage technique...
    Here are some specifics:
    - car lives at my house, in a temp-controlled garage,70-80 degrees, dry desert climate.
    - car would be up on jackstands, and covered.
    - gas would be drained out
    - battery would be disconnected

What I'm curious about is the oil...should I drain it? Are there any other engine prep details I should be aware of? anything else?

Looking forward to the GAF...I'll be over in the PML booth, inside one of the exhibition halls...

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it.
    cheers
    Thom Kuby

For a Winter's Sleep?

Now, is that the process you would use to put a car away for the winter months?

My wrench suggested that during the winter I fire it up every 3 weeks or so till it warms up to keep the seals, etc in good shape. A note from the local PCA chapter said don't start it up because it won't do much - since you aren't driving it, you won't affect the tranny, so it really doesn't matter.

Do you really suggest putting the car up on jackstands? I thought that new age tires don't get flat spots.

Kermit will be in an unheated garage, with plenty of mousetraps to keep the critters at bay.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry, leaving a car idle for months is not good under any circumstances. If you can avoid this, I would. If it is on stands, you can engage the trans and spin it for a moment. Be damn sure your stands are secure. The thing is, you will do harm if you don't bring it up to temp each time. 5 minutes is wrong.

Also, I'd rethink the unheated garage. Just 40* min would be better. That can't run the utility bills that high, can it?

Zeke:

I get your point. I was planning on running it for 15 - 20 minutes, with a hose from the exhaust out the bottom of the garage door to keep me from being asphyxiated.

Never thought of engaging the clutch on stands. Sounds reasonable.

You're right that a 40 degree temp wouldn't be too expensive, except that I don't have a heater in the garage at all right now. The thousand or so that it would cost to pipe a heater into the garage might be construed by the wife as special Porsche treatment. Of course, her Volvo would benefit as well.

Something to ponder.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC