Thread: European Collectibles???

Question European Collectibles???

Anyone know anything about the restoration shop/dealer located in Costa Mesa, CA called European Collectables? Are these shops a good resource?

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.europeancollectables.com/home.aspx

Don't know them personally, but with so many Registry members in LA, someone should know. Also, don't hesitate to ask somone to look at a car for you here. As for NorCal, I can recommend John Hauslett at WEst Coast AutoSport (www.westcoastautosport.com). He's an honest guy that properly represents his cars. He's got good connections and finds some realy good cars. His prices are fair (generally you get what you pay for).
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    You gotta love that silver 356. But "Outlaw" as two words?
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I visited that place in December of 02

The read that I got on the place was this: they have a cramped facility, the 356's get to stay indoors, the rest of the cars sit outside and a few had flat tires, the restoration shop is located in the back. It was very cluttered, dusty/dirty, unorganized and unprofessional looking.

In my book, a good shop is a clean one. Good mechanics, generally, run a clean show...they would not allow dirty cars with flat tires out in the front (security fence enclosed) lot when the buyers that visit are there to look at rare, high priced cars. The shop tour should be professional as well.

Having said that, those guys seem to find some great cars. They have been in business for quite a while with a very few complaints that I am aware of.

I would approach them with the sound advise given earlier...only buy an early car when you can get a professional third party inspection from an early car experienced shop/or person with a good report. The PPI is a must.

Best of luck. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Oh, and...

I'll take the 67 Westy. Sweet camper. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

European

A little stand offish and high hatted is my personal experience. And expensive, but what isn't when it comes to 356's? They have been there for a long time and seem to know what they are doing. I used to have a business just down the street. At the time, they used to have the cars piled 3 high out at the street, behind the fence. A junkyard, which is basically a big part of their business.

I think they got more into the restoration side when the cars became valuable enough to do. They certainly weren't lacking candidates. And cheap immigrant labor has made a lot of this kind of thing possible whereas 20 years ago, there were a lot less qualified (?) body guys that would work for gardener's wages.

If you want a reliable source, contact John Willhoit at Willhoit Restorations in Long Beach. Now, he's REALLY expensive. No immigrants there that I've seen. I've met some of his employees and they all seem happy enough, so I guess he pays them adequately to turn out some of the best work you will ever see. Parts, too. As a matter of fact, he's a parts hoarder.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    You gotta love that silver 356. But "Outlaw" as two words?

A little old english history... derived from "out of the law" or "outside the law"
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Hi
    Whilst i haven't bought anything from them, i always watch their website, and i visited the premises about 3 months ago when i was in the US looking for a car. Seriously considered both a 356 and 911S but lost out on both. CHris was always friendly, and had no issues about PPIs etc.
    I thought the workshops, whilst not pristine, looked ok ?! and the showroom was good.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)