Thread: How to search car history w/ Vin#

How to search car history w/ Vin#

What websites are there (i.e. carfax) to ck. vehicle history of classic cars using a car's vin#?
    Prior rides: 65,67,&72 VW Sedan(Bug), 92 BMW 318is
    Current Ride: 2000 Audi S4 (For sale)
    Wanted Ride: 70-73 911 coupe (non targa)

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Better to trust a seller with a thick stack of receipts and a complete service history than some anonymous website.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

None of the early VINs with less than the current 17 characters are valid in the online Carfax search engines. It is very difficult to trace history of early cars unless the seller can provide major clues/documentation.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

With Cal. DMV you can pay I think it's $20 per year of inquiry to find out registration information on a car if you know the VIN. I don't think you have to own the car to do so. I am thinking of doing it with my 70 cause I have no info from 70 -75. Pricey , so I think I'm going to skip a couple of years like 70, 72, 74. If you do the first year of registration who knows you might get lucky and then are able to track down the original owner and then follow the trail.

This is only on Cal registrations and I don't know how much info you get. I'm pretty positive that my car has been in SoCal all it's life until now.

Also even on 81 and newer cars if it hasn't been updated in 4 years it gets purged in the active DMV data base although still in the archived data base that law enforcement has access to. When I had to apply for a new title on my 70 which hadn't been registered since 84, DMV couldn't tell me a thing but, the CHP when verifying my VIN was very quick to tell me that my car was once stolen and recovered without damage (luckily).

Good luck
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Most State DMV's have a service to determine previous ownership of a vehicle so you can establish provenance. It's not much fun but I've had pretty good luck in Virginia and Texas. I was able to track down the original owner of my car through the documents with the car but this research also gave me the history between owners and when it finally ended up in Virginia and in my hands.
    You'll have to sign off on a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo but that's a CYA for the State.
    I think the first owner of my car is still around but I cannot swear for sure. I mailed him one letter and got no reply. I have a phone number and address but since I know everthing about the car when he owned it I don't really care if he ever acknowledges me and if he's not around I'd prefer he maintain his silence.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Oklahoma will send you copies of a car's title history for a small fee. I was pretty impressed with what I got. Does anybody know if Arkansas provides the same service?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Quote Originally Posted by djgonzo
    What websites are there (i.e. carfax) to ck. vehicle history of classic cars using a car's vin#?
    Haidiho djgonzo,

To be short....I,ve got the same problem with my '70 E.
    I'have got the full European history (last 12 years) but no information about the 22 years of ownership in the states.(Former PCA car)

Please mail me your chassis and engine number. I you like, I'll try to get more info for you at PON Porsche, the Netherlands / Germany. They can deliver options, delivery date and place, and correct numbers on your car.

I can use some help with my cars history.

Greetz from the Netherlands!

Theo / '70 Coupe 911E with webers / 911 0220 173 / 6200027 / irisch green #1515 / delivered 01 dec 1969 / CA / with strange missing piece of bodymetal, right side / was Airco build in??!

Try your country's Porsche Main Agent.
    I went through the internet here in Australia to Porsche Australia.
    They happily searched approx 5 cars over a couple of months, and gave build date, delivery date and location, VIN and engine number and colour.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)