Thread: How common is factory Porsche overstamping on parts?

How common is factory Porsche overstamping on parts?

Just how common is factory Porsche overstamping on parts?

Here's a few pics of an example from a spare early 911 Speedo of mine. It's interesting to see 3 different date stampings on the back of the speedo.

1.) "7 66" is stamped into the metal of the speedo housing
    2.) "1 68" is rubber stamped over the metal date stamp mentioned above
    3.) "2 68" is ink stamped within a triangularish ink shape nearby

Do they just indicate different approval stampings as the speedo made its way down the assembly line? Is it an anomaly, very common, or all they all like that?

Thanks,
    John.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

...more factory 'errors' - surprise, surprise... seems like the sixties and early seventies were drunken times at our favorite Zuffenhausen facility
    Early S Reg #675

I would say that the casing was made in 7/66 (ie a 67 MY) but the speedo was finished off in the 68MY hence the blue date stamping and 68 style grapics. The 67 and earlier had green graphics
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

I think those are green figures that have faded to almost white !
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Tonight i looked at the speedo in brighter light, and the graphics appear beige or cream to the eyes. I noticed the following numbers tucked under the front glass on the sidewall of the speedo:

911 6(i think it's a six...?)41 502 00 0006

All the numbers are cropped at the top

Maybe that'll help "date" the speedo.

I see that i'm not alone... nice example of double stamping on the fuel tank.

Thanks,
    John.

George,

Your rubber stamp might be the tested date or QA date. When we manufacture our products there are often different rubber stamps with different shapes denoting test or QA steps in the production. The dated stamps are usually reserved for the final QA process to set the warrenty dating for the parts. The supplier's warrenty period for the individual parts would be different from the Factory's warrenty period for the car.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Ah-ha! Cool info.

Thanks,
    John.

date stamps

I agree as well... We've stamped hundreds of items for the automotive and gauge industry over the years... The stampings in the metal tracked batch loads as well as date of production for the presses and tooling and the ink stamp usually was when an item was fully assembled, checked and tested, more than likely by a different Manufacturer than the one that did the metal stampings... the various date stamps on Porsche items George are completely normal...

Robert Gross...

I agree George, so how are we going to split the royalties?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Overstamping

I have a trans ('72 914-6) that was stamped twice @ serial (?) #. If I remember correctly, a #2 was stamped on top of a #1. I think that it was a 'left over' '71 trans used for '72. (FWIW, not many '72 6s were made.) Not the same as the multiple (QC) date stamps, though....
    RGr #145
    SReg #367
    RSpec #2.7